St. Thomas Gets the Boot

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, polarbear, imJumbo

St. Thomas Gets the Boot

Postby RetiredJet » Wed May 22, 2019 4:23 pm

I know in the past there has been a lot of talk about whether Tufts should be in the NESCAC but looks like St. Thomas is getting voted out of the MIAA: https://swimswam.com/miac-kicks-out-fou ... st-thomas/

Sounds like football was the driving force here but it's still interesting to see them get voted out. NESCAC teams are much more competitive across the board but there are certainly a few schools that tend to end up at the top more often. It also makes me wonder if a school like MIT will get voted out of their conference as they always seem to dominate across the board. Will be interesting to see if there are any more shakeups in the coming future.
RetiredJet

Re: St. Thomas Gets the Boot

Postby polarbear » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

RetiredJet wrote:I know in the past there has been a lot of talk about whether Tufts should be in the NESCAC but looks like St. Thomas is getting voted out of the MIAA: https://swimswam.com/miac-kicks-out-fou ... st-thomas/

Sounds like football was the driving force here but it's still interesting to see them get voted out. NESCAC teams are much more competitive across the board but there are certainly a few schools that tend to end up at the top more often. It also makes me wonder if a school like MIT will get voted out of their conference as they always seem to dominate across the board. Will be interesting to see if there are any more shakeups in the coming future.

Good points but some slight distinguishers here -- St. Thomas' rule in football has gone on for decades, whereas Tufts' "advantage" is more recent. In the late 90's the issue was Middlebury and Williams taking huge athletic admits and dominating the conference, but they shifted their systems back in line with the rest of the conference when rules were more closely codified and their advantage faded. While the structural outliers that define Tufts -- 2X+ the undergraduate size as the rest of the league, multiple graduate schools, engineering program -- will not fade, its certainly possible that their program will revert to the mean with time.

Same with MIT -- for years Springfield dominated that conference and its only recently that MIT has invested in facilities and adjusted its admissions program. To me, MIT competes less against other schools its size and more against other engineering programs. When I coached at an Ivy League school we saw lots of overlap with MIT, and now that their facilities are in line they are getting those swimmers who would B consoles in the Ivy / NCAA DIII qualifiers. I would expect MIT to continue to get Ivy league level athletes.
polarbear

Return to New England Small College Athletic Conference