Post MIAA 2019 Discussion

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

Post MIAA 2019 Discussion

Postby WilliamWallace » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Well - Here it is. The start of our conversation breaking down the 2019 MIAA Championships. Unarguably one of the more historic and ground breaking MIAAs of all time. I'd say this was 99% on par with the 2018 championship in terms of level of excitement.
I wont have time today to put down everything I want to say in terms of break down, but I do want to make a few quick highlights of why this conference was so bananas.
1. This is the first season in 15 years that a Calvin team did not go home with a trophy. Whether you love them or you hate them, you have to admit it was a great run. Hope, Kalamazoo, and Calvin have all had lengthy streaks in their school histories and they have to be acknowledged for what they are. Do I think this is the end for Calvin? Absolutely not.

2. This is the end of a 39 year coaching career of one of the greats. Already said it once, but John Patnot is a legend and going out with one last win is pretty cool. Taber getting a trophy in his first season with Hope also very cool and Stone of Albion raising a trophy in year one as well.

3. The Albion men won the championship over an incredibly talented Calvin team. Calvin won 5/5 relays several of which were MIAA records and took more individual titles than any other team combined. I am not sure if that has ever happened before. This is not me trying to take away anything from the britons victory, in fact the opposite- they had a game plan and a way of beating a top heavy Calvin juggernaut and they executed that plan. Congrats to them on their performance.

4. There were so many incredible historic swims for the MIAA. top two that stick out in my mind were Dan Clyde going under 4 in the 400IM (FINALLY someone in the MIAA!) and the double 2:00.points in the 200 Breast- both of them beating Josh's old MIAA record.

5. This is something I need our veteran historians of the MIAA to check (Looking at JT) but how many times has a prelim DQ in a relay happened and how many times has it changed the outcome of a meet?

6. This isnt really a thing and I am not saying it is an all time record, but it is truly awesome to see SO MANY alumni from each school in the stands cheering on their teams. That makes this conference so damn cool to swim in.

There are many other things making this a meet to remember. I am eager to hear all of your thoughts.
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Re: Post MIAA 2019 Discussion

Postby Uptake » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 pm

A more detailed analysis will come later, but here are my immediate thoughts post-meet.

1. Alumni: To echo what William Wallace said above, it was great seeing so many alumni at the meet. It looked very special to watch Albion alumni, many of whom did not have a chance to win a championship themselves, to cheer the Brits on throughout Saturday evening as they sealed their victory.

2. Is this a double-win for JT? Most of the Albion team was recruited by him, and unlike when he moved from Olivet to Albion, all of the Albion swimmers stayed at Albion. This might be the only time in which one could say that a coach won championships with two teams in the same year (even if one was only in spirit).

3. Top 8 Speed: by my reckoning, only the mile, 200 IM, 100 breast and the 200 fly have slower event winners than the past four or five years. And for three of those events (mile, 200 IM, 100 breast), the top 8 speed was on the whole much faster than any other year. It was not 5 years ago that a 1:53 high was winning the 200 IM. It nearly took that just to make top 8 in the event this year. Overall, kudos to MIAA on raising the overall depth of the conference from five years ago. Hopefully this will project into better national standings and continued better recruiting for all teams.

4. Most Improved: There are several candidates for this award, so I am not going to choose one, but lay them all out there. Evan Wonner had some impressive time drops from last year as a freshman. 0.7 in the 50, 1.5 in the 100 free, and over 2 in the 100 fly. Ryan Gelderloos is another candidate. Apparently he never swam a 200 free tapered individually before this meet, so prior to January 2019 was going 1:53 in the 200 free and dropped all the way to 1:42 flat start. Just on sheer time alone he could win this award. I won't include any freshmen in this category, just because they have not dropped time while within the MIAA, but some Albion freshmen including Treuax, Mitchell, Robertson, and Fogel deserve serious consideration with huge time drops from high school to college. They are a big part of the reason Albion picked up the win this weekend.

5. Over celebrating 9th place: Calvin seems like they have a tendency to over celebrate getting 9th and under value prelims swims which is a big reason they lost the meet. Kudos to Albion for doing the work they needed to in the morning. This could be a theme for the entire Calvin Men's meet right here: over celebrating 9th place. On Saturday at finals, when the writing was already on the wall after the mile that Albion was going to win, Calvin proceeded to land 9th place in all three events they had anyone in the consol heat of finals (200 breast, 100 free, and 200 fly). In all three, the time would have earned the swimmer 8th place had they swum those times in the prelims session. If there is one thing Calvin needs to correct, it is placing the correct value on prelims swims.

6. I would like to see what others think about individual grades on swimmers. I will try to post some in the following days.
Uptake

Postby Unionsteels4 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:45 pm

Couple notes from the meet

First, congrats to the women of Hope. Amazing meet from Albion, Hope and Calvin. That last relay was 100% on the coach. There is absolutely no way that you should have no back up plan for if the A relay DQ's, which isn't all that uncommon for prelims. That takes nothing away from the Hope women however. Their stroker's were as dominant as could possibly be. Wins in both IM's, 2fly, 2br, 2 back, 1 fly, 1 back. Allison Eppinga was the difference they needed for those freestyle legs and in the individuals. The Distance crew was dominant. just an amazing way to sent out coach Patnott in his final season

Albion's men were lights out across the board. I know hind sight is 20-20, but man did they show their depth. They really went out on a mission and proved everyone talking about their lack of depth wrong. I too would be interested to see if anyone has ever won the championship without winning a relay, that's insane. Evan Wonner is the most underrated male swimmer in the conference. His swims did not just provide points for the Brittons, they gave momentum boosts, especially for the younger guys. Congrats to all of them, as well as Stone on his first MIAA championship as a coach.

Top individual performances for me were Anna Moores 55.8 100 bk on the relay, and Kimbrill/Huttenlochers 2:00. 2 breast strokes. Amazing weekend of swimming. Excited to see what the conference can do at nationals.
Unionsteels4

Postby ThisIsAwesome » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Wow! How exciting to be a part of the MIAA conference championship meet. So did the freshmen play a big part in the outcome? If so, whose recruiting class had the biggest impact?
Individual scoring by freshmen (boys):
Albion: Freshmen scored 238 points
Drew Fogel (43), Erik Halboth (37), Andrew Jonna (27), Noah Mitchell (44), Connor Robertson (48), Tommy Trueax (39)
Calvin: Freshmen scored 138 points
Jake Boender (31), Noah Holstege (45), Bryce Miner (27), Trevor Sparks (35)
Kalamazoo: Freshmen scored (66)
Luke Durden (21), Nick Nerhood (15), Ty Sakalys-Moore (23), Armaan Sood-Mankar (7)
Hope: Freshmen scored (102)
James Bird (10), Andrew Dwan (5), Liam Faber (11), James Mandeville (1), Nick Weigle (8), Kamaron Wilcox (30), Grant Williams (37)
Olivet: Freshmen scored (54)
Brandon Burks (4), Cade Erickson (25), Zach Knott (25)
Alma: Freshmen scored (10)
Will Brown (8), Leevi Olson (1), Matthew Thomas (1)
Freshman MVP? Connor Robertson had an amazing meet. Noah Holstege certainly right there too especially including his contributions to relays.
Albion freshmen boys score 100 more points than the next closest. I would say the freshmen had a huge impact this year.
So I guess Tabor wins the recruiting award since he brought most of them in and probably had an impact at Hope with their freshmen too. Props to Coach Stone for being able to keep the talent that was recruited and training them so well throughout the year to be able to have those types of time drops from the beginning of the season to the end. Now, can he recruit to keep Albion on top?
Was awesome to see all of the alumni swimmers come back to cheer their teams on.
ThisIsAwesome

Postby spobrocy1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:29 pm

An outstanding meet with great swims all over the place. A pleasure to watch all the athletes compete like they did.

Unionsteels4 wrote:That last relay was 100% on the coach. There is absolutely no way that you should have no back up plan for if the A relay DQ's, which isn't all that uncommon for prelims.

Admittedly, this comment has me confused. I fail to see how you can blame Dan for what transpired. Unless the rules have changed in the MIAA in the last two years, the rule has always been that an "A" relay DQ in prelims results in the relay being DQ'd in finals. There is no backup plan possible. If the relay dq's, the relay dq's. You are not permitted to use your B relay in finals, so once the relay was dq'd, Dan didn't have any cards to play. What was done was done. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you meant here?

Unionsteels4 wrote: I too would be interested to see if anyone has ever won the championship without winning a relay, that's insane.

I was actually reminiscing with a couple alums last night about this. In answer to the question, yes it has happened before. Most recently, Kalamazoo won 15 straight relays in the MIAA Championship meets of 2009, 2010, and 2011. Hope won the meet in 2009 and 2010, and Kalamazoo won in 2011. Having a couple dominant swimmers can carry you in relays, so you can sweep them, yet not necessarily win the meet. Do you have to have other pieces? Of course. But the names Craig Fleming, Paul Ellis, and Chris Manning come to mind back in those years on relay swims. B. Holstege and Iturbe played similar roles this past weekend.
spobrocy1

Postby H20 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:40 pm

This meet was a complete disaster for Dan Gelderloos, and as a direct result for his unfortunate swimmers!

If you had swapped coaches and rosters by trading Gelderloos to Albion (men) or Hope (women) at the start of the season as their coach, and then giving either Taber or Stone the Calvin roster on either side, either Taber or Stone would have absolutely beaten the living crap out of their own schools with the same rosters. Better conditioning, better technique corrections (starts, breakouts, turns, finishes seem to really suck at Calvin in comparison to their top rivals), much MUCH better taper strategies, much better event selection to maximize roster talent, etc.etc. etc.

It should also be embarrassing to the Calvin team and alums that coaches from schools with such crappy facilities, by comparison, both out-recruit and handily out-coach the guy sitting in one of the premier facilities in the country.

For example, with such an amazing diving setup for recruiting, how in the world can any coach at Calvin show up with ZERO divers on the men's team???

Shouldn't one of the best swimming facilities in the entire country have at least the best coach and recruiter in the conference at the helm?

Just imagine what Taber and Stone could do with the vast untapped potential of that amazing Calvin pool, where they have at minimum 16 lanes free every single day to train in, while their rivals are crammed into just 6-8 lanes for the most part!

This may be a harsh rebuke, but is any of what I typed above an inaccurate statement or representation? If so, please feel free to correct my errors.
H20

Postby spobrocy1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:52 pm

A quick edit to my previous comment: I just got some more insight on the B Relay rule. If your B Relay does not have any exhibition swimmers on it, it can take the place of an A relay in finals in the event of a prelim DQ. Understand better now.
spobrocy1

Postby Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:56 pm

So I’ve heard that Wise Owl has been lost for the second time. If anyone has it please tell someone at Kzoo and return it. To Kzoo, be more responsible!

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen

Postby OG_Swammer24 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:25 pm

H20 wrote:This meet was a complete disaster for Dan Gelderloos, and as a direct result for his unfortunate swimmers!

If you had swapped coaches and rosters by trading Gelderloos to Albion (men) or Hope (women) at the start of the season as their coach, and then giving either Taber or Stone the Calvin roster on either side, either Taber or Stone would have absolutely beaten the living crap out of their own schools with the same rosters. Better conditioning, better technique corrections (starts, breakouts, turns, finishes seem to really suck at Calvin in comparison to their top rivals), much MUCH better taper strategies, much better event selection to maximize roster talent, etc.etc. etc.

It should also be embarrassing to the Calvin team and alums that coaches from schools with such crappy facilities, by comparison, both out-recruit and handily out-coach the guy sitting in one of the premier facilities in the country.

For example, with such an amazing diving setup for recruiting, how in the world can any coach at Calvin show up with ZERO divers on the men's team???

Shouldn't one of the best swimming facilities in the entire country have at least the best coach and recruiter in the conference at the helm?

Just imagine what Taber and Stone could do with the vast untapped potential of that amazing Calvin pool, where they have at minimum 16 lanes free every single day to train in, while their rivals are crammed into just 6-8 lanes for the most part!

This may be a harsh rebuke, but is any of what I typed above an inaccurate statement or representation? If so, please feel free to correct my errors.

This is kinda harsh. However, I do agree there are flaws in the Calvin program.

I think Calvin should not be embarassed. It was not like 2017 when the Calvin men were destroyed by Albion, or when the women weren’t winning MIAAs. It was a very close battle on both sides.

For Calvin’s regime, Gelderloos does need some tweaking in where priority lies. Using up the women’s freestyle could only work for so long. Maybe he should recruit, well, strokers and not freestylers. Likewise for the men, after Cochran the men’s BR fell apart. Whatever worked way back when, will NOT continue to work. He’s pretty much been doing the same thing for 22 years, and hopefully this year’s meet will prove something has to change.

As for Calvin and their respective battles, the other teams, simply put, had an equal depth but in Calvin’s weaker events. If Calvin’s depth were in the same events as Hope W/Albion M, then maybe the meet could’ve had a different outcome.

Congratulations to the Hope women, history was truly made. Likewise the Albion men, a well deserved win.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
OG_Swammer24

Postby heisenberg » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:38 pm

What a weekend. Every year I reflect and think "this was the most competitive year" and then am outdone by the following one. This was no exception. My (lengthy) thoughts are as follows:

- It's been said a few times but deserves to be said about 100 more - Congrats to Coach Patnott. He truly has been the backbone of the MIAA. From his numerous accolades to his selflessness, he truly has been such a great role model to so many. What a way to finish with the girls championship. The league will truly miss him.

- On that note, Congrats to the Hope Women and Albion Men for pulling off the unthinkable. Not many would have thought that was possible a few weeks ago, but both teams truly set themselves up in the mornings and got things done in the evenings. Shoutout to Taber for his first MIAA championship as a Hope Head Coach and Nick Stone for his first as Albion Head Coach. Rumor on the street is that Calvin had MIAA champion shirts pre-made for the meet...pride comes before the fall.

There could be so many swims / swimmers to talk about, but for the sake of everyone, I’ll highlight just a few:

1. Dans – Dan Clyde and Dan Keith are quite the HMS duo. Clyde personally had two of my favorite races to watch. He wrecked the 400 IM from the first breakout. Always nice seeing someone go under 4:00. I think he definitely wanted a little revenge from the 200 IM out-touch. Also up there was the 200 Fly win from lane one (Outside Smoke). I don’t think many had him in their favorite to win that event. Dan Keith got a taste of MIAA swimming in the 50, 100, and 200 free. Word on the street is he was battling some illness all week, but either way, he put down some solid times to take home 2 silver medals (just barely getting out-touched in the 100) and set a new Hope College school record in the 200 free. Nice to see HMS on the top of the podium again.

2. Iturbe – This kid is a stud. The only guy to win 3 golds and an obvious MVP winner. His 500 was crazy, he really was not threatened by anyone. He pulled a Tanner Vincent and won the mile in the morning, though I would have rather watched him swim at night against Mac. The 200 free was a fun race, he really brought it home that last 50. Don’t forget his 45.07 relay lead off. The dude is quick.

3. Huttenlocher – I might argue this kid is the most versatile in the league. While he only struck gold once, he truly put on a show. A few more strokes and I think he could have had the 200 Breast Gold too (no disrespect to Kimbrell…just different styles of racing). Don’t forget he also lead off in a 1:41.1 200 Free, went 55:1 in his breast split, and went a 45 in his 100 free split.

4. Holsege(s) – someone tell these brothers to slow down…I’m just glad one is graduating. In all seriousness, a seriously freaky fast family of brothers. 20.6 from a freshman is scary. Ben showed his dominance in the backstroke once again and split a 44.4 on the end of the 4 free. Sam Holstege was the quiet one, but still made his presence known with a bronze in the 100 Breast.

5. Shaker – While Sharif didn’t individually medal, the kid had a hell of a last lap as a senior. From everything he has gone through with Zoo I have so much respect for him finishing strong. He’s a hell of a competitor. Congrats, Sharif.

6. Britton – Jared Britton also had a stellar career with the Knights. Though his 50’s have been all over the place over the last 4 years, it was cool to see him finally get the Gold for his flagship race. Interestingly his best 50 time of 20.33 was from the Calvin Invite in 2018 and he went the exact same time in 2017 at the same meet. My big question is what happened to his 100 free? 46.43 is his slowest final in all 4 years, and his best time is 44.88…While he hasn’t been super consistent since the “he’s a freshman” cheers, he has brought a lot of speed and points to Calvin. I’m sure they’ll miss that.

7. Kozycki – Not a ton to say for Nate. I don’t know if he missed his taper or if he just had an off year. It seems weird to say that for someone who went 48.4 in a 100 Fly, but I think the entire league thought he would be a bit faster in all of his events. Still, hats off to him for an excellent career. Wishing him the best when he takes on the big dogs at NCAAs. Bring some more hardware home.

A few other honorable mentions:
- Tyler Kimbrell – Taking down a Josh Boss record is not easy. What an awesome meet this guy had.
- Cade Erickson: Solid across the board. Loved seeing a Comet in the top 8, and he’s a freshman.
- Skylar Fish: After what seemed like 7 years in the MIAA, Fish is capping off a great career.
- Ryan Gelderloos: I said it before, this kid was on fire. I don’t think many would have had him on their radar, now they definitely will.
- Matthew Howrey: Loved seeing his guy compete all weekend. Didn’t quite slip into medal contention, but he showed he’s not someone to overlook.
- Noah Mitchell: Another young Albion guy who put his stamp on the MIAA. This kid will be fun to watch in the upcoming years.
heisenberg

Postby Insight » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:04 pm

IMG_2948.jpg
IMG_2948.jpg (246.94 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
"One gallon, 66 miles of memories."
Insight

Postby BigBoizOnly » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:13 pm

There could be so many swims / swimmers to talk about, but for the sake of everyone, I’ll highlight just a few:

1. Dans – Dan Clyde and Dan Keith are quite the HMS duo. Clyde personally had two of my favorite races to watch. He wrecked the 400 IM from the first breakout. Always nice seeing someone go under 4:00. I think he definitely wanted a little revenge from the 200 IM out-touch. Also up there was the 200 Fly win from lane one (Outside Smoke). I don’t think many had him in their favorite to win that event. Dan Keith got a taste of MIAA swimming in the 50, 100, and 200 free. Word on the street is he was battling some illness all week, but either way, he put down some solid times to take home 2 silver medals (just barely getting out-touched in the 100) and set a new Hope College school record in the 200 free. Nice to see HMS on the top of the podium again.

2. Iturbe – This kid is a stud. The only guy to win 3 golds and an obvious MVP winner. His 500 was crazy, he really was not threatened by anyone. He pulled a Tanner Vincent and won the mile in the morning, though I would have rather watched him swim at night against Mac. The 200 free was a fun race, he really brought it home that last 50. Don’t forget his 45.07 relay lead off. The dude is quick.

3. Huttenlocher – I might argue this kid is the most versatile in the league. While he only struck gold once, he truly put on a show. A few more strokes and I think he could have had the 200 Breast Gold too (no disrespect to Kimbrell…just different styles of racing). Don’t forget he also lead off in a 1:41.1 200 Free, went 55:1 in his breast split, and went a 45 in his 100 free split.

4. Holsege(s) – someone tell these brothers to slow down…I’m just glad one is graduating. In all seriousness, a seriously freaky fast family of brothers. 20.6 from a freshman is scary. Ben showed his dominance in the backstroke once again and split a 44.4 on the end of the 4 free. Sam Holstege was the quiet one, but still made his presence known with a bronze in the 100 Breast.

5. Shaker – While Sharif didn’t individually medal, the kid had a hell of a last lap as a senior. From everything he has gone through with Zoo I have so much respect for him finishing strong. He’s a hell of a competitor. Congrats, Sharif.

6. Britton – Jared Britton also had a stellar career with the Knights. Though his 50’s have been all over the place over the last 4 years, it was cool to see him finally get the Gold for his flagship race. Interestingly his best 50 time of 20.33 was from the Calvin Invite in 2018 and he went the exact same time in 2017 at the same meet. My big question is what happened to his 100 free? 46.43 is his slowest final in all 4 years, and his best time is 44.88…While he hasn’t been super consistent since the “he’s a freshman” cheers, he has brought a lot of speed and points to Calvin. I’m sure they’ll miss that.

7. Kozycki – Not a ton to say for Nate. I don’t know if he missed his taper or if he just had an off year. It seems weird to say that for someone who went 48.4 in a 100 Fly, but I think the entire league thought he would be a bit faster in all of his events. Still, hats off to him for an excellent career. Wishing him the best when he takes on the big dogs at NCAAs. Bring some more hardware home.

A few other honorable mentions:
- Tyler Kimbrell – Taking down a Josh Boss record is not easy. What an awesome meet this guy had.
- Cade Erickson: Solid across the board. Loved seeing a Comet in the top 8, and he’s a freshman.
- Skylar Fish: After what seemed like 7 years in the MIAA, Fish is capping off a great career.
- Ryan Gelderloos: I said it before, this kid was on fire. I don’t think many would have had him on their radar, now they definitely will.
- Matthew Howrey: Loved seeing his guy compete all weekend. Didn’t quite slip into medal contention, but he showed he’s not someone to overlook.
- Noah Mitchell: Another young Albion guy who put his stamp on the MIAA. This kid will be fun to watch in the upcoming years.[/quote]

1. They're quick. But Hope? meh.
2. Very fast. Very good. Freestylers do freestyle.
3.Going 2:00 and not winning??? SHEEESH. Gotta be happy with a 5 second drop from last year
4. Is there a lab these kids are coming out of? Calvin had a couple Vincents for few years, have their been other dominant siblings in the conference before? They're momma must be proud.
5. Shaker. Kid is an animal, glad a Cali boy was willing to brave the Michigan cold and make some noise in the MIAA. Certainly went out with a great meet.
6. Dudes fast, but I will say expected more from the freshman who went 19 in a relay four years ago. Again, still fast and quite a career.
7. Freaky fast. Whens the last time we had a 48 100 flyer reigning MIAA champ/is he the only one? With it being his last meet I bet he will turns some heads at NCAAs. Is it true he took out his 50 freestyle finals swim out in butterfly? If so, that's sick.

HM: Sad to think the name Josh Boss will slowly fade away in MIAA lure; Howrey is a beast, I predict a redemption tour in 2019/2020..Don't mess with Texas; Grant Anger reportedly in the ER little over a week ago? Made it back to finals in 2 of his events. Breaking a minute in the breast is no easy feat healthy. Mad respect.

The conference seems young. I hope we continue to see great swimming!
BigBoizOnly

Postby ncognito » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:36 pm

Last edited by ncognito on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncognito

Postby theallseeingeye » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:20 pm

A few thoughts:

H2O’s comments on Dan: I really couldn’t disagree more. Dan is an excellent coach. In the top 10 percent of coaches in the country as far as I am concerned. It is an absurd assertion to say that after over a decade of dominance and umpteen MIAA titles where what he was doing was clearly very effective that he “needs to change his training strategies”.

ncognito’s comments on Dan: I also disagree. Calvin men’s swimming is not a club team. You can’t spend (waste) time doing a technique lane and folders/interviews to the regular extent that you describe. Also, I have no idea what you are referencing in regards to skylar fish’s underwaters. They are pretty darn impressive. I also don’t think there is the slightest issue with retention of top swimmers. The only top 5 type of guy to leave and not stay for all four years would maybe be Kasper, but he left for different reasons. Lastly, I don’t know where you get your view on Dan being inflexible on people having to adjust their practice times based on their schedule. My senior year I had a night class that cut into our afternoon practice and Dan bent over backwards to make it work out for me.

Dan you are a great coach!!! Do not listen to the haters. Simply fair weather fans and rats leaving the ship.

Julian: Congrats on the 200 free school record man!

Ryan Gelderloos: that 200 free split was awesome as a freshman!

Times generally getting faster: several 1:50 point 200 IMs really is a sign the conference is getting faster and so is the top three times in the 100 fly being 48 and 49’s. Nice job getting the school record Jared! I remember even from the time I was a freshman how many different people tried to get that 49.25 Calvin record and were unsuccessful even after all four of their years. Rushlow, Stoughton, Johnson come to mind.

Holstege boys: it almost seems like the younger ones times start off as freshman where their older brothers graduated time wise. I really wonder if there is some psychological phenomenon behind this. I know that when the first man went under 4 minutes in a mile running there were like 10 more people to be able to do it within the next year after that. There is something about when a bar is set for you, and you know what you need to do very precisely, that it is almost in a weird way slightly easier to achieve.

Prediction on the next five years of MIAA titles:
This will be a bit of a gusty headliner, but I am predicting that neither Albion, Calvin, or the Hope men really create any type of multi year dynasty for the next 3-5 years. Instead it is much more likely that who claims the men’s title jumbles around back and forth from year to year. One caveat to this is if Taber can recruit to a level that would make his recruiting he did at Albion pale in comparison and then maintain that for about 2-3 years.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
theallseeingeye

Postby Sheev » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

thanks muma

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Sheev

Next

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association