MIAA 2019 Thread

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

MIAA 2019 Thread

Postby m_cash » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Best of luck to all swimmers, divers, coaches, and officials.
m_cash

Re: MIAA 2019 Thread

Postby heisenberg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:02 pm

It's officially the best time of the year...thoughts on the first night:

Calvin...
- Wins with an MIAA record (I think) although Ben Holstege was slower than 2018 and Iturbe was slower than midseason. Still, awesome to see a group of 4 guys average a 1:40.7(ish)...props
- I'm impressed with Ryan Gelderloos...seems like this guy was pretty quiet a couple years ago, now he's setting records
- Tim Randall brings it home racing no one but the clock

Albion...
- Huttenlocher proving he can be versatile with a 1:41.13 lead off.
- Kozycki a little over a second slower than last years relay..I'm a little surprised here.
- Mac Robertson brings it home in a 1:41.4 again racing no one but the clock

Hope...
- Keith looked smooth and like he really turned it on at the end...perhaps he went out a little too controlled...still 1:41.0 is fast off a flat start, though he's been faster and was 1:41mid in a dual meet... Keith v. Iturbe is gonna be the race to watch
- Impressive split by Dan Clyde with a 1:40.8 (1/3 guys under 1:41) for someone who doesn't swim the 200 that much (if ever)
- If only the back half speed was the same as the front, but props for the Dutchmen for getting a medal Wednesday night and for two young guys holding it out

Kzoo/Others...
-Sharif went out with the big dawgs, couldn't quite hold on...would have liked to see him 1:41/1:42...
-Eric Wood making a name for Olivet and leading off in a 1:43.6...happy to see a Comet up there
heisenberg

Postby OG_Swammer24 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:25 pm

Calvin women’s relay time is a bit underwhelming in years past. only 7:35. VanHarn’s 1:49 could’ve made that time a 7:30. Will the VanHarn sized gap affect the other relays??????????

Also, after Julian’s 1:39.0 split versus Keith’s 1:40.8, pretty sure Julian’s got it.

Also, Emma Schaefer time trialed a 2:22.75 2 BR. Crushed her PB by 4 seconds, wow. So both IMs and 100 BR now?

[ Post made via iPhone ]
OG_Swammer24

Postby BigBoizOnly » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

Impressive swim from Holstege in the 100 IM, swim of the meet imo thus far. Where was everybody else? Get up on the blocks and race people!

Can we get a link to a live stream if available?
BigBoizOnly

Postby ncognito » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Last edited by ncognito on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncognito

Postby WilliamWallace » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:20 pm

In regards to the Calvin relay, yes that was an miaa record. Passing the 2016 relay where Andrew Kasper (only swam for 1 year) out touched the iconic Derek Bosko. He went 1:38 on the anchor leg. I’ll never forget it.

As far as the four who are in the record book now, I agree with the other comments. Iturbe and Holstege were meh considering we all have high expectations (not saying they were bad swims, just first swims of a long meet). The real congratulations goes to Gelderloos and Randall. I have always been a big believer in Randall, and i think he wrote a picture perfect comeback story from missing the nationals cut last year. but to be 100% honest I don’t even think Ryan or even his dad expected Ryan to do what he did there. I’m sure that was extremely emotional for them both.

If Iturbe and Holstege have a little more to throw down, they could put a crazy number on the board at NCAAs. Top 8?
Last edited by WilliamWallace on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby WilliamWallace » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:25 pm

WilliamWallace wrote:In regards to the Calvin relay, yes that was an miaa record. Passing the 2016 relay where Andrew Kasper (only swam for 1 year) out touched the iconic Derek Bosko. He went 1:38 on the anchor leg. I’ll never forget it.

As far as the four who are in the record book now, I agree with the other comments. Iturbe and Holstege were meh considering we all have high expectations (not saying they were bad swims, just first swims of a long meet). The real congratulations goes to Gelderloos and Randall. I have always been a big believer in Randall, and i think he wrote a picture perfect comeback story from missing the nationals cut last year. but to be 100% honest I don’t even think Ryan or even his dad expected Ryan to do what he did there. I’m sure that was extremely emotional for them both.

If Iturbe and Holstege have a little more to throw down, they could put a crazy number on the board at NCAAs. Top 8?

[ Post made via iPhone ]

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby spobrocy1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:50 pm

The most compelling race tonight seems like it is going to be the 4 Med, so I'll throw a prediction out there for kicks.

Holstege vs. Moran (3-3.5 Seconds in favor of Calvin)
Kimbrell vs. Fish? (It could be Huttenlocher also, but I'll guess that Nick goes with Kimbrell) (2-2.5 Seconds in favor of Albion)
Kozycki vs. Britton (1-1.5 Seconds in favor of Albion)

If nothing unusual happens (which, let's be honest, something unusual seems to happen a lot and very well could happen tonight), Ciemniecki and Iturbe should dive in pretty close together. Should that be the case, I wouldn't be surprised with either guy winning.

It's a tough call. Albion has uncertainty in the backstroke matchup, but Calvin has the same in the breaststroke. My gut tells me that somebody will assert themselves and have a swim that alters everything. Nonetheless, I'll take Calvin 55 to 45.
spobrocy1

Postby MIAA_Swimmer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:32 pm

BeN HoLsTeGe Is ThE mOsT VeRsAtIlE sWiMmEr In ThE mIaA
Attachments
MIAA.jpg
MIAA.jpg (130.3 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
MIAA_Swimmer

Postby OG_Swammer24 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 pm

What a crazy night it’s been!

Women’s 2 FR relay was wayyy too close. Eding split 22.91, but Calvin still had the edge.

Men’s 200 FR relay was a comfy win for Calvin.

Peel crushed Serino in the 500, on her way to 3-for-3. Too bad M. Smith went 5:12 in the B final.

Iturbe breaks that 4:30 mark and eclipsed the 2016 Kasper record. Tim Randall beat Mac, AGAIN.

Schaefer went a 35 mid in her breast to pass up Chao. Not too shabby of a race from EmSlenk in the B finals.

2 IM: HYPE race from Clyde, B. Holstege, and Huttenlocher. Holstege got knocked off and Huttenlocher took the W by 0.07. Clyde has another silver to add to his collection.

Also, Sam Holstege had a baller back half, unleashing a 33/27 split to put Moran in his place.

Gunderson clinched the 50 free to continue the Calvin women’s free dominance.

Britton finally won gold in his signature 50 free after taking 3rd-3rd-2nd. Noah Holstege also aiding the 1-2 finish.

Women’s 4 Medley: Calvin’s BK hurt them a lot and Hope/Albion were wayyyy out there. Hope held on.

Men’s 4 Medley: Ben Hols warmed up with a 49 leadoff, Fish held off Huttenlocher, Kozycki was FLYing to get Britton, and Iturbe made it close against Len.

Calvin men and women both have solid leads after day 2. But tomorrow is a whole other ball game.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
OG_Swammer24

Postby illuminati » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm

OG_Swammer, your bias towards Calvin is absolutely blinding! It is painful to see that you missed the actual headline of tonights session. Calvin may have come away with flashy wins in both relays but tonight was an absolute win for Albion. Thursday is by far the weakest day for Albion and they are only 33 points behind.

Calvin may be ahead but they have taken all three relays thus far, and had 5 more people swim than Albion did tonight and are only up 33? When you take out the relay points it is 196-181 in favor of Calvin. That means that Calvin's 5 extra swimmers only netted them a 15 point advantage over Albion?

Albion is averaging 15.1 points per swim while Calvin is averaging only 11.5... Calvin swimming 6 people in the 200 im and only getting 3 in the A final may come back to haunt them. You also must question whether putting that many people in the 50 was worth it. All Calvin did is push their own swimmers down. Albion may not be winning the relays but so far they are more than making up for it with quality a final swims. Albion only had 2 people swim in the b final tonight while Calvin had 7!

It is a long weekend and Albion is going to need to pick up the 200 med, but they have to be ecstatic with how things went today! Is shaping up to be a great meet.

P.S. OG_swammer you chose to highlight Sam Holstege's "baller back half" of 33/27 when Huttenlocher posts a back half of 30.7 and 26.07? Weird flex but ok...
illuminati

Postby illuminati » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Also: Most people may not have even noticed the best swim of the night. Anna Moore led off the 400 Med relay in 55.84 becoming the first woman in MIAA history to break 56 seconds in the 100 back! WOW!!!!!
illuminati

Postby WilliamWallace » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:55 pm

I’ll split the difference between Og and Illuminate.
Illuminate, you’re definitely right about the britons succeeding today, but they did all of their succeeding in the morning. Calvin knew they didn’t have a great morning session when it comes to getting men in top 8. Albion packed the events with swimmers which gave them the many many points they needed. So, that being said, I’ll agree now with OG and say that once the cards were on the table, the Calvin swimmers did step up their game which is quite notable. Also I don’t think you can discount the mental boost of those flashier wins. Teams breaking Miaa records and going 1-2 in individuals tend to get a lot of emotional energy on deck. Albion WILL need to do something to break that over the next two days if they want to slow them down.
Recipe for a W for Calvin: swim better in prelims. Maybe eat a bigger breakfast. Idk.

Recipe for a W for Albion: once you get into finals, you need to hold your spots on the podium or move up. Try punching some lockers also.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
WilliamWallace

Postby Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Halfway through already. It’s been crazy. Can we take a moment to appreciate the divers. They’re hardly ever mentioned and I feel like they deserve equal recognition considering most swimmers can never do the insane flips they do even that one guy that didn’t make finals (must suck since that was his last chance). The competition between the top two is gonna be insane. Will Jake Burris remains as champion tomorrow or will Grant Williams dethrone him? Regardless they’ll probably all be cool with whatever happens. May all the seniors (Jake, Brian, Tejas, and Simon) finish their final dives the way they want to. That 3m’s gonna be intense.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen

Postby RollTide » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:11 pm

While we are on the topic of diving, props to Kalmazoo’s Dougherty for not only swimming at this meet(and throwing down while he’s at it), but also getting a top 8 finish in diving as well. He’s getting my vote for most versatile swimmer of the meet.

Also, props(?) to the A final for the 500 having no seniors. Things are only looking up for the conference.

A shoutout to Noah Holstege as well for going 20.6 twice today along with a 20.5 leading off the relay. That’s consistency right there.

I also find it interesting that Dan Keith hasn’t had any major drops. It seems like he hasn’t hit his taper this year. Dan Clyde on the other hand has had some massive swims this weekend. The battle between Hope and Kalamazoo for third is going to come down to how far the two Dans and the dive squad can carry Hope. I’ll touch more on the other team battle at a later date.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Next

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association