Men's NESAC

Moderators: polarbear, imJumbo

Men's NESAC

Postby purpleandwhite » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:53 pm

The dual meet season is over and team's are putting together their championship rosters and will soon start moving into the championship phase of training.
A few thoughts at this point of the season for the top teams.

1) Tufts has more depth than Williams.....true or false?

I'm going with false. Bigger team roster advantage for Tufts but not sure that it results in more points scored from 19 through 24. In fact, a quick once over suggests that Williams will out score Tufts from the lower roster slots.

2) Tufts has more higher talent than Williams....true or false?
I'm going with false if we define that as A finalists. I believe Williams will have more A finalists than Tufts.

3) Williams should beat Tufts because it has more top end and bottom end talent.....true or false?
How about depends. Tufts has stronger sprint corp than Williams and that translates potentially into more relay points. Perhaps the difference maker this year.

4) Williams best chance to beat Tufts relies upon the success of the Amherst relays....true or false?

I believe that is true. If Amherst should beat Tufts in the sprint relays (200/400 in free/medley) than I believe Williams wins the meet. If Tufts should win all but the 800 free relay then Tufts should win.

5) That means Eph fans should be rooting for an Amherst relay sweep in all but the 800 free relay....true or false?
I believe this to be true but suspect it's a hard one for our friends over the hill to buy.

6) The big three will score more points collectively than last year...true or false?
I believe this is true. The fall of the Conn college team will benefit the big three the most.

More to come as we get closer
purpleandwhite

Re: Men's NESAC

Postby Borg » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 am

Like last year, it appears Tufts tapered (on-the-bubble for NESCACs ?) swimmers who competed at this weekend's Boston Winter Open and Tufts' depth/quality were once again on display.
Most notable
Devon French (Frosh) ......100 fly....50.3 (3-4 sec drop with taper), 50 Fly 22.9 (B finals times at NESCACs)
Ethan Webster (Frosh).....200 back....1:50.07 (9 sec drop with taper), 100 back ....51.33 (A finals times at NESCAC)
Gerald Wood....50 free ....21.29 , 200 free....1:42.48 (B finals times at NESCACs)
....another half dozen swimmers who swam B/C NESCAC finals times in various events

B finals points appear to be Tufts floor for their top 23 swimmers (1 diver) at NESCACs once again.
Borg

Postby RetiredJet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:43 am

Borg wrote:Like last year, it appears Tufts tapered (on-the-bubble for NESCACs ?) swimmers who competed at this weekend's Boston Winter Open and Tufts' depth/quality were once again on display.
Most notable
Devon French (Frosh) ......100 fly....50.3 (3-4 sec drop with taper), 50 Fly 22.9 (B finals times at NESCACs)
Ethan Webster (Frosh).....200 back....1:50.07 (9 sec drop with taper), 100 back ....51.33 (A finals times at NESCAC)
Gerald Wood....50 free ....21.29 , 200 free....1:42.48 (B finals times at NESCACs)
....another half dozen swimmers who swam B/C NESCAC finals times in various events

B finals points appear to be Tufts floor for their top 23 swimmers (1 diver) at NESCACs once again.

Devon French also went a 1:52.31 in his 200 fly which was an A final last year and his 100 would've been an A final had he gone that in prelims. As you mention Borg there is a lot of depth. In past years they seem to bring 2 people off this team to NESCACs and when looking you have all the guys you listed above plus Trevor Serman who was 51.47/1:51.41 fly (which is a A final) so you have 4 guys and all of them who have A/B swims which means you're going to be leaving at least 2 kids home who could score pretty well.

Also to address some of those points from purpleandwhite.
1) Williams and Tufts are about even on depth in my opinion. Williams is really strong in the distance events no doubt but Tufts has a surprising amount of depth. Look at the 200 back for Bowen(146), Mitchell (149), Kim (148), Doyle (151), Webster (150) and Tingen (153 LTB from HS and if he swims well I think he could be sub 150). That's at least 4 guys who would have made A final last year. I think it just depends on what event you are talking about for depth which is why I would say they are roughly even. Plus we never know what freshman are going to do, if one team has kids drop crazy times (like Tufts freshman last year) the class (or team) can go from solid to really good.
2)As for relays I agree Williams needs to hope for Tufts loses but I really don't think Amherst will win 200/400 free and medley. 400 Free relay Tufts returns 2 legs (Bowen, Gu) and has a freshman (Vollbrechthausen) who is faster than either of the legs they lost last year, while Amherst did pick up Romeyn I don't think he can make up the 4 seconds (259 vs 303).
3)I do agree that the big 3 score more points. The fall of Conn definitely contributes to this but overall but if Bowdoin swims well and Conn swims better than projected it could be not as dramatic of a difference as last year.

Women's meet starts in a few days going to very exciting to get into championship season.
RetiredJet

Postby polarbear » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Polar Bear has returned from honeymoon in Africa (followed by an exciting trip to Cedar Rapids -- always lovely in February). Expect some commenting over the next few days . . . .

But for now -- while I agree generally with the above, be careful re backstroke. The 100 was epicly slow last year and there are a ton of good freshmen faster than top 8 times from last year, off the top of my head LeClerc and Whitcomb (Williams), Yang and Mebust (Bowdoin), Tingen (Tufts). What was interesting to me was the BR guys that Tufts rested for here. That appeared to be their weak event, and having a 58.1 / 2:09 off the NESCAC team means they think they have enough depth if that event is weak this year.
polarbear

Postby RetiredJet » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:07 pm

polarbear wrote:Polar Bear has returned from honeymoon in Africa (followed by an exciting trip to Cedar Rapids -- always lovely in February). Expect some commenting over the next few days . . . .

But for now -- while I agree generally with the above, be careful re backstroke. The 100 was epicly slow last year and there are a ton of good freshmen faster than top 8 times from last year, off the top of my head LeClerc and Whitcomb (Williams), Yang and Mebust (Bowdoin), Tingen (Tufts). What was interesting to me was the BR guys that Tufts rested for here. That appeared to be their weak event, and having a 58.1 / 2:09 off the NESCAC team means they think they have enough depth if that event is weak this year.

Yeah backstroke was not super strong last year but I was more making the point that Tufts is deep in some events (like backstroke) but not as deep in the breaststroke events. Yes you are right there are at least 6 freshman who are all solid backstrokes, we will have to see how they all perform once we get to NESCACs
RetiredJet

Return to New England Small College Athletic Conference