NESCAC Week #3

Moderators: polarbear, imJumbo

NESCAC Week #3

Postby TTCoach » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Recap from swimming world magazine with some NESCAC mentions....

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/341577-2/

What do you all make Williams men dropping one to WPI? Tufts men losing to Williams? Lovette nearly touching out Gu in the 2 Free

Looks like Williams women are getting stronger (especially at distance) and some of their FY women (Matheny, Peterson) are starting to make their marks. I thought Tufts women would put up a stronger showing.
TTCoach

Re: NESCAC Week #3

Postby swimdad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Suited

[ Post made via iPhone ]
swimdad

Postby polarbear » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:38 am

TTCoach wrote:Recap from swimming world magazine with some NESCAC mentions....

What do you all make Williams men dropping one to WPI? Tufts men losing to Williams? Lovette nearly touching out Gu in the 2 Free

Looks like Williams women are getting stronger (especially at distance) and some of their FY women (Matheny, Peterson) are starting to make their marks. I thought Tufts women would put up a stronger showing.

- I thought it was a big deal for Gu to win that. Does he have a legit 3d event now? Will we see him swim more 200 free??

- Who is swimming back for the lady Ephs? What happened to Conforti (who dropped some good time). Not sure there is another sprint backstroker on the roster, which leads to non-flat water in the relays. I know they have a freshman who has been 1;59 (name escapes me), but she's more of a 200IM / 400IM type.
polarbear

Postby nescac123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 am

polarbear wrote:
- I thought it was a big deal for Gu to win that. Does he have a legit 3d event now? Will we see him swim more 200 free??

After Gu went 1:40.1 (Tied Tufts Record) last year at NESCACS, he definitely has a third event. He dropped something like 2 seconds from his freshman year 200 best. Im not saying that he will drop 2 seconds again but a 1:40 should put him comfortably into the A final.
nescac123

Postby Borg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 am

TTCoach wrote: Lovette nearly touching out Gu in the 2 Free

Your phrasing should be flipped given the 2018 200 Free NESCAC champ results
"Gu (9th) out touched Lovette (2nd)"

Pretty good 200 time for Gu considering he was about 1/2 second slower this week in the 50 and 1.5 seconds slower in the 100.
Wearing a drag suit to make it fair for Williams was thoughtful...don't you think?
:D
His 200 time is 1 second faster compared to December 2018 so Gu is trending positive for year over year improvement ....low 1:40 @ 2018 NESCACs

Just throwing it out there.....Can Gu win the triple at NESCACs....50/100/200?
Has anyone ever taken this Freestyle triple at NESCACs?
1:37 is the target time...Sarier and Lovette in 2018
Gotta believe Gu has the 200 as a goal over the next 2 years

Shout out to Jack Bauer in his final year. The man has been a linchpin for WPI
Borg

Postby RetiredJet » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 am

TTCoach wrote:Recap from swimming world magazine with some NESCAC mentions....

Agreed with comments above. Gu has a best of 1:40.1 vs Lovette with a best time of 1:38.1 so don't think Lovette should have been the one losing here. I do think this can be a good 3rd event for Gu but I'm not sure he has it in him to beat Sarier. If you look at how he races it he is actually very similar to Sarier (his 1:40.1 was 23.2/25.2/26.0/25.5) in the sense he does not get out way ahead of the field. I think to really have a shot to win he would need to go out 45 and hang on for his life the last 50 as Sarier will probably throw down a 23 the last 50. Maybe we will see something crazy, I would love to see a triple win, but I'm not sure I would bet on Gu in the 200.

Great swims all around this weekend and I think that Westphal, Craig and Gu may have swam times that will get them to NCAA. I know NESCAC has had so many fast kids in the past but to have people qualify for NCAA at dual meets is just insane to me.

Also there were some notably absences this past weekend for both Tufts and Williams. No Bowen or Trunsky hoping that it's nothing serious for either guy but still worth noting they weren't there.
RetiredJet

Return to New England Small College Athletic Conference