NESCAC Weekend 1

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, polarbear, imJumbo

NESCAC Weekend 1

Postby nescac123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:59 pm

A place to talk about the results from the first weekend.

Just some quick thoughts I had:
- Gu is still fast (Shocking!). Breaks the Middlebury pool record in a dual meet at 20.6. Seems unlikely that Romeyn (21.1 vs Colby) beats him this season
- Tufts women should make a strong push at NESCACs judging by how they broke a some pool records at Middlebury as well.
- Komishane on Bowdoin looks like a very solid recruit. it will be exciting to see how he and D. Williams progress over this season. Ted Mebust also looks like a very good pickup for the polar bears.
- Lovette has some range. Looks like he can swim anything from 50-1650. Maybe Kuster wants to hide what Lovette can do in the distance events early on?
- A lot of freshman at Conn, I count 9-10. More than they have had in a while.
- Amherst looks ready to go. Two guys at 1:43 this early is a positive sign for their 800 relay
nescac123

Re: NESCAC Weekend 1

Postby RetiredJet » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:46 pm

nescac123 wrote:A place to talk about the results from the first weekend.

Just some quick thoughts I had:
- Gu is still fast (Shocking!). Breaks the Middlebury pool record in a dual meet at 20.6. Seems unlikely that Romeyn (21.1 vs Colby) beats him this season
- Tufts women should make a strong push at NESCACs judging by how they broke a some pool records at Middlebury as well.
- Komishane on Bowdoin looks like a very solid recruit. it will be exciting to see how he and D. Williams progress over this season. Ted Mebust also looks like a very good pickup for the polar bears.
- Lovette has some range. Looks like he can swim anything from 50-1650. Maybe Kuster wants to hide what Lovette can do in the distance events early on?
- A lot of freshman at Conn, I count 9-10. More than they have had in a while.
- Amherst looks ready to go. Two guys at 1:43 this early is a positive sign for their 800 relay

Just a quick note but the Midd/Tufts meet was at Tufts so the pool records getting broken were not quite as impressive although Gu splitting 20.09 in Hamilton pool is crazy. The Tufts women will be quite resurgent in my opinion. Most of their event winners were freshman and sophomores and I think they could really start to make a push towards Amherst. If you look at last years team their top sprinter was 24 high and this weekend alone they had two freshman (one of whom is Mary Hufziger who I think is going to be huge impact swimmer for Tufts) split 24.4 and 24.5 respectively. I think the Tufts women will surprise a lot of people this year.
RetiredJet

Postby polarbear » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Tufts women look a lot deeper, they will be moving back up. Bowdoin women looked pretty solid (Laurita 57.5 fly, Dixon 2:08 fly and IM and 1:55 free, Eguchi 10:56 and 5:18, Kemp 10:52) but will need someone to step up in BR. Bowdoin men looked . . . discombobulated. Some were faster than before -- Williams, Sarier 100 free -- but a lot in the other direction as well. A whole bunch out with injury did not help. They should have beaten WPI.

Midd (M+W) looking thin. Conn missing Ifill but has more than would have expected, and Adl back. Bates and their 10,000 male freshmen all looked solid - if they make a step its a huge class. Ho and Sears missing for the Bates women. Colby looking better than in the past -- I believe 10 freshmen guys. Can they give Midd a run?
polarbear

Postby EphFan123 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm

Quick Thoughts: Amherst looked less broken down than Tufts and Williams judging by times.
Williams results were pretty uneventful.
Zeb Hart splits 22.9 fly on the Medley relay.
Moly Craig is a beast. Beats Caroline White's time in the 200 breast (albeit at Williams pool vs. Union pool) and Mattheny's in the 200 back.
Brennan Lee gets close to his times from NESCACs splitting 22.5 on fly and posting a 52 flat start. Good sign there.
White splits 29 breast, pretty darn fast.
Gollob 26.8 50 breast split is nice depth.
Will Zhang flat starts a 21.7.
Sean Tan goes a very very fast 1:54 200 fly at his first dual meet ever.
Paul Leclerc goes a 1:55 200 back and a 53.8 100 back.
No Whitcomb, Page, Gaffney, Melnick in individual events.

Kingsley Bowen is consistent as hell.
Roger Gu is doing Roger Gu things (aka splitting 20.0 and flat starting 47).
Don't count out Romeyn in the 50 until we see how he tapers.
Thana of Tufts had a great first college meet.

Williams butterfly is very fast and very deep. Williams distance is head and shoulders above everyone except maybe Tufts with Karofsky, Lovette, Trunsky.
EphFan123

Postby TTCoach » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Just some interesting news on the Tufts/Bowdoin/Colby womens teams (from swimmingworldmagazine.com's D3 Recap this week).

"The Jumbos have added transfer Amy Socha. While she qualified for NCAAs last year, she was a part of a Kenyon team so strong she wasn’t taken to the meet. Tufts had just one woman at NCAAs last year, and Socha should help grow that group this year, and improve the team’s relay possibilities. This weekend Socha went a 58.88 100 fly, and a 5:19.10 500 free."
---With the fast FY freestylers on Tufts, Socha should help a lot in relays, but also challenge in the 1 and 2Fly (2:05) and 500 (4:59).

"Bowdoin senior Sterling Dixon leads the conference in the 200 IM (2:08.48) and the 200 fly (2:08.30). Her sophomore teammate Mary Laurita has the conference’s top 50 (24.60) and 100 (53.91) freestyles and 100 fly (57.59) after weekend number one."
----Looks like Sterling Dixon is looking to challenge in the IM/2fly titles this year. She is starting out much faster than last year.

"Colby freshman Addie Page opened her collegiate career with a statement. She has the number two 500 free (5:14.94) and 1000 free (10:43.72) in the NESCAC."
---Really nice to see this new talent in the NESCAC. It be fun to watch her and the distance free swimmers in general... looks like we may have some breakout names this year.... Page at 5:14.94, she technically has the 2nd fastest 500 (behind Mary Hufziger of Tufts, 5:14.14). I dont think, Westphal will stay at 5:15 for long, and Molly Craig who hasnt been used for distance free, split a 5:11 at the 500, on the way to a 10:35 1000 on her first swim of the year.
TTCoach

Postby polarbear » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 pm

TTCoach wrote:Just some interesting news on the Tufts/Bowdoin/Colby womens teams (from swimmingworldmagazine.com's D3 Recap this week).

"The Jumbos have added transfer Amy Socha. While she qualified for NCAAs last year, she was a part of a Kenyon team so strong she wasn’t taken to the meet. Tufts had just one woman at NCAAs last year, and Socha should help grow that group this year, and improve the team’s relay possibilities. This weekend Socha went a 58.88 100 fly, and a 5:19.10 500 free."
---With the fast FY freestylers on Tufts, Socha should help a lot in relays, but also challenge in the 1 and 2Fly (2:05) and 500 (4:59).

"Bowdoin senior Sterling Dixon leads the conference in the 200 IM (2:08.48) and the 200 fly (2:08.30). Her sophomore teammate Mary Laurita has the conference’s top 50 (24.60) and 100 (53.91) freestyles and 100 fly (57.59) after weekend number one."
----Looks like Sterling Dixon is looking to challenge in the IM/2fly titles this year. She is starting out much faster than last year.

"Colby freshman Addie Page opened her collegiate career with a statement. She has the number two 500 free (5:14.94) and 1000 free (10:43.72) in the NESCAC."
---Really nice to see this new talent in the NESCAC. It be fun to watch her and the distance free swimmers in general... looks like we may have some breakout names this year.... Page at 5:14.94, she technically has the 2nd fastest 500 (behind Mary Hufziger of Tufts, 5:14.14). I dont think, Westphal will stay at 5:15 for long, and Molly Craig who hasnt been used for distance free, split a 5:11 at the 500, on the way to a 10:35 1000 on her first swim of the year.

I wondered where Socha came from -- her fly best is 55 mid although I dont believe she did any best times last year.

Bowdoin women did not have a good meet last year. If it comes together this year they could really do something.
polarbear

Postby purpleandwhite » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 am

EphFan123 wrote:Quick Thoughts: Amherst looked less broken down than Tufts and Williams judging by times.

The only logical explanation from someone who was apparently there. :D

Good to see some of the conference standouts (Sarier, Gu, Bowen, etc) with good early season times.These guys know how to get ready for the long season.

I do think that moving the 800 free relay will have quite a positive impact on the conference standings. My guess is that both Williams (still the favorite) and Amherst (slightly behind for second) will be under 6:40. Tufts might also make it under.

Also looks like the conference sprint standing will improve at Nationals. We already have 3 guys ( 2 from Amherst and Koravos hasn't swum it yet) under 47 and its still very early for our conference swimmers. I also expect some 400 free A finals from the conference.

Looks like a good start to the season. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the home cooking (and swimming) and get ready to for big push over the next few months.
purpleandwhite

Postby RetiredJet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:37 am

purpleandwhite wrote:
EphFan123 wrote:Quick Thoughts: Amherst looked less broken down than Tufts and Williams judging by times.

Good to see some of the conference standouts (Sarier, Gu, Bowen, etc) with good early season times.These guys know how to get ready for the long season.

I do think that moving the 800 free relay will have quite a positive impact on the conference standings. My guess is that both Williams (still the favorite) and Amherst (slightly behind for second) will be under 6:40. Tufts might also make it under.

Also looks like the conference sprint standing will improve at Nationals. We already have 3 guys ( 2 from Amherst and Koravos hasn't swum it yet) under 47 and its still very early for our conference swimmers. I also expect some 400 free A finals from the conference.

Looks like a good start to the season. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the home cooking (and swimming) and get ready to for big push over the next few months.

800 Free is going to be an absolute slug fest this year. I agree that Williams has the edge but I think if Tufts/Amherst have good swims they could easily win too and I expect each team to dip under 6:40. As for sprinting I think NESCAC is going to have some of the best swimmers without a doubt I think the 400 free relay will be a good one.

We have a long season ahead but it's going to an exciting one. The only thing I can say with confidence about the conference is that Williams women will win NESCACs but outside of that everything is up in the air. Lots of teams with good freshman classes (Conn/Colby) and that always adds a lot of uncertainty to NESCACs.

Next up for every team:
Tufts will be at MIT invite 11/30-12/2
Williams vs Uconn 12/1
Amherst vs Midd 12/1
Colby, Bowdoin, Bates at Maine State meet 12/1
Wesleyan, Conn at CT State Cup 12/1
Trinity, Hamilton at Hamilton Invitational 11/30-12/1

Looking above it seems like more and more teams are going to/hosting invite meets. Anyone have any insight into whether or not teams going to Maine/CT/Hamilton invites wear suits and or rest at all??
RetiredJet

Postby polarbear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am

RetiredJet wrote:
purpleandwhite wrote:

800 Free is going to be an absolute slug fest this year. I agree that Williams has the edge but I think if Tufts/Amherst have good swims they could easily win too and I expect each team to dip under 6:40. As for sprinting I think NESCAC is going to have some of the best swimmers without a doubt I think the 400 free relay will be a good one.

We have a long season ahead but it's going to an exciting one. The only thing I can say with confidence about the conference is that Williams women will win NESCACs but outside of that everything is up in the air. Lots of teams with good freshman classes (Conn/Colby) and that always adds a lot of uncertainty to NESCACs.

Next up for every team:
Tufts will be at MIT invite 11/30-12/2
Williams vs Uconn 12/1
Amherst vs Midd 12/1
Colby, Bowdoin, Bates at Maine State meet 12/1
Wesleyan, Conn at CT State Cup 12/1
Trinity, Hamilton at Hamilton Invitational 11/30-12/1

Looking above it seems like more and more teams are going to/hosting invite meets. Anyone have any insight into whether or not teams going to Maine/CT/Hamilton invites wear suits and or rest at all??

In the past Bates has suited and rested at least a day or two for the ME meet. Bowdoin has at times rested certain people, either those with less background or those close to a national cut or those who may just need to see where they are. Tufts has generally rested and suited
polarbear

Postby imJumbo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 pm

polarbear wrote:In the past Bates has suited and rested at least a day or two for the ME meet. Bowdoin has at times rested certain people, either those with less background or those close to a national cut or those who may just need to see where they are. Tufts has generally rested and suited

Just a reminder, Tufts will rest probably 2 days and toss on suits. Nothing more. :D
imJumbo

Postby cacbrah » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 am

imJumbo wrote:
polarbear wrote:In the past Bates has suited and rested at least a day or two for the ME meet. Bowdoin has at times rested certain people, either those with less background or those close to a national cut or those who may just need to see where they are. Tufts has generally rested and suited

Just a reminder, Tufts will rest probably 2 days and toss on suits. Nothing more. :D

I heard Tufts has been tapering the last 2 weeks and a few guys are shaving down... can anyone confirm??
cacbrah

Postby polarbear » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:45 am

cacbrah wrote:
imJumbo wrote:

I heard Tufts has been tapering the last 2 weeks and a few guys are shaving down... can anyone confirm??

I heard they cancelled practice Thursday of last week for extra rest and that most if not all of the kids didnt swim at the Tufts pool on Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday . . .
polarbear

Postby Borg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

polarbear wrote:
cacbrah wrote:
imJumbo wrote:Just a reminder, Tufts will rest probably 2 days and toss on suits. Nothing more. :D

I heard they cancelled practice Thursday of last week for extra rest and that most if not all of the kids didnt swim at the Tufts pool on Friday, Saturday, or even Sunday . . .

I heard former East German athlete and nutritionist Greta Mann was spotted at Tufts' Hamilton Pool apothecary distributing "healthy snacks". Too whom?......I'd hate to speculate.
I could be mistaken
Borg

Postby imJumbo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:13 pm

Borg wrote:
polarbear wrote:
cacbrah wrote:I heard Tufts has been tapering the last 2 weeks and a few guys are shaving down... can anyone confirm??

I heard former East German athlete and nutritionist Greta Mann was spotted at Tufts' Hamilton Pool apothecary distributing "healthy snacks". Too whom?......I'd hate to speculate.
I could be mistaken

Crap, we've been discovered.
imJumbo

Return to New England Small College Athletic Conference