Recent Meets

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

Recent Meets

Postby RollTide » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 am

As quite a few meets have taken place involving MIAA team in the last few weeks, I thought I would cover them right here before the hype for midseason meets picks up.

Calvin Quad:

- Calvin hosted Ohio Northern, Carthage, Hope, and Albion in the Calvin Quad(The math doesn't add up). I feel like I would be wasting words on the usual Calvin suspects (Iturbe and B. Holstege), but I will cover the fact that Holstege #3 split 45.7 on a 400 free relay. I know he pretty much does the same 3-4 events every meet, but I would like to see Dan let him branch out and try new events like the 500 or 100 breast.

- Tim Randall was fast at this meet. Could be a sign of a big season coming for him.

- Calvin's 200 free relay went a 1:24. It might be a stretch at this point, but could they challenge for a national title in that event?

- Who does breast on the relays for Calvin? I could easily see Lensing, Peeps, Elijah, or Holstege #4 doing it.

- According to MeetMobile and searching the name "Holstege", there are more on the way.

-Interesting seeing Huttenlocher used on the Albion medleys and not Kimbrell. Could we see a shakeup in the 100 breaststroke this year or does he stick with his IM events? Huttenlocher vs. Iturbe in the IM events will be a battle.

- Albion's 400 medley relay beat an Iturbe-less Calvin by .01. Albion's last 3 legs wiped out a 5 second deficit to Holstege #3 with Len closing out the win over Holstege #5. Is this the relay Iturbe doesn't do at conferences?

-Hope was Hope. That's all I got. Not a notable meet, but not a bad meet which is normal for them at this point.

Olivet vs. Hope:

-Olivet's Erickson went a 10:13 in the 1000.

-According to CollegeSwimming, Olivet has 4 commits already for next season and three of them are from California. Along with the 4 Californians already on the team(I may be wrong), could Olivet become a team of only Californians in the next few years?

-No Eric Wood for Olivet. No idea why he missed the meet, but if it's from injury that could be huge.

-A fun little nugget, but in two years, former Olivet coach Cauli Bedran has gone from head coach of D-II Olivet(Read his bio, UM thinks Olivet is D2. The #disrespect) to volunteer assisstant coach under Mike Bottom at the University of Michigan. Quite a jump for him.

Kalamazoo vs. Lincoln vs. Davenport:

-No Orwin, Shaker, or Stille for Kalamazoo. As that is at least 3/4 of their medley relays, key members of free relays, and high point scorers, how much does it impact Kzoo?

-Shoutout to Kalamazoo's Crane and Anger for both touching out a Lincoln swimmer by less than a tenth of a second.
RollTide

Re: Recent Meets

Postby m_cash » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Cauli was at Wayne State (DII) for what seemed like 10-12 years, then was at Bowling Green (DI) for one year following his stint at Olivet. Not a direct jump from Olivet to Ann Arbor, but still cool nonetheless.
m_cash

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association