X Team Records

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

X Team Records

Postby Archer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 am

Maybe the pain of my freshman year hasn't worn off yet, more likely i just couldn't fall asleep, but i was laying in bed last night and came up with an interesting question:

What are the MIAA-wide X-Team records for each event? So the only eligible swims are at the League meet by guys who were on the exhibition/non-scoring team at that time (so a freshman on the x team who went 49 at leagues would count, even if he swam for points the following year).

Not sure how to look this up other than by going through all the League meet prelim results event by event and keeping a note of who was fastest.

Anyone have pdfs of all the results (looking at you, facenorth!)?

Maybe this ends up being wildly uninteresting, but i bet there are at least a few events where the X Team Record is legit
Archer

Re: X Team Records

Postby spobrocy1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am

Archer wrote:Maybe the pain of my freshman year hasn't worn off yet, more likely i just couldn't fall asleep, but i was laying in bed last night and came up with an interesting question:

What are the MIAA-wide X-Team records for each event? So the only eligible swims are at the League meet by guys who were on the exhibition/non-scoring team at that time (so a freshman on the x team who went 49 at leagues would count, even if he swam for points the following year).

Not sure how to look this up other than by going through all the League meet prelim results event by event and keeping a note of who was fastest.

Anyone have pdfs of all the results (looking at you, facenorth!)?

Maybe this ends up being wildly uninteresting, but i bet there are at least a few events where the X Team Record is legit

Oh man, what a question. Well, I have no idea what the records are, but here's a couple notable x-team swims that I remember to get the ball rolling from Hope in the 2009-2010 range. Had a pretty large x-team that year. I also recall Kalamazoo having some pretty solid x-team swims from 2012-2015. When they won their most recent title, pretty sure they had a team of around 30 guys. Calvin the past few years has had some fast x-team times as well. Maybe somebody from either of those two schools could contribute there.

Mark Waterstone - 59 Breast
Jeff Cole - 1:45 2 Free, 4:45 5 Free
Matt Ray - 4:46 5 Free. Can't remember his mile time.
Brian Yount - 52 Fly
spobrocy1

Postby facenorth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:31 pm

Kalamazoo used to have a really nice website that Brian Miller used to maintain. k-swimming.net if I recall correctly that had some nice historical info on it. Anyway, I'm trying to remember but I want to say back around 2000 they had a guy named Ryan Crowley that swam exhibition one year and went nuts and then was an all american the next year. If silentp or anyone else older still browses these forums, feel free to weigh in here to make sure I'm getting this right. I feel like he was 46 in the 100 free that year -- which was pretty darn good 20 years ago, especially as an exhibition guy.

A few years later, Abe Glas went from x-man to national qualifier on a relay from one year to the next for Hope.
facenorth

Postby DonCheadle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:27 pm

hey my password hasn't changed.

Yeah, Jake, it wasnt Crowley. The kid was from Spring Lake. Kzoo even time-trialed a (400?) relay with him on it to try and get him to Nats. I think it was 2001?

to the question, I can think of two guys who were exhibitioned who ended up scoring at Nats:

Derek (ick?) Vanderheide and, well, me.

Derek was fast for 1994. He may have won an event in 1995 the year after?

I was not fast in 1995 - even by 1995 standards - I went a 22.9 or something like that in the 50 and a 56.0 in the 100 fly. And although I scored at nats 3 years later, it had more to do with my relay teammates than me.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!
DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Postby DonCheadle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:40 pm

facenorth wrote:Kalamazoo used to have a really nice website that Brian Miller used to maintain. k-swimming.net if I recall correctly that had some nice historical info on it. Anyway, I'm trying to remember but I want to say back around 2000 they had a guy named Ryan Crowley that swam exhibition one year and went nuts and then was an all american the next year. If silentp or anyone else older still browses these forums, feel free to weigh in here to make sure I'm getting this right. I feel like he was 46 in the 100 free that year -- which was pretty darn good 20 years ago, especially as an exhibition guy.

A few years later, Abe Glas went from x-man to national qualifier on a relay from one year to the next for Hope.

I thought of a fwe more Hope guys:

Hamstra and that guy who got maybe 3rd in the 100 free at Nats around 2002 who didn't finish at Hope? I know could look his name up because he is on your top 10 list. Dehann. Just came to me.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!
DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association