Relay Meet

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

Relay Meet

Postby JasonInteger » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 pm

Get ready for the Alma storm that is coming on Friday. The rest of the MIAA has no idea what’s coming after them as we will get the ultimate goal of top 3 relay finishes at the relays. Forget conferences, this is the meet that truly defines the season for us. We will win the relay meet and take home the trophy to display for years to come!

[ Post made via iPhone ]
JasonInteger
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby FranksRedHot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Any Predictions?

I have some....

Women's 50 Back - Peel -26.99
Men's 50 Back - Clone Trooper #3 - 22. 45
Women's 50 Fly - Roberts - 26.87
Men's 50 Fly - Nate Kozycki - 22.99
Men's 50 Breast - Huttenlocher - 27.43
Women's 50 Breast - Sonday - 32.02
Men's 50 Free - Iturbe - 21.00
Women's 50 Free - The Ghost of VanHarn -20.33

Women's 1500 - Calvin - 16:20
Mixed Medley - Calvin - 1:42
Mixed Free - Calvin - 1:36
Men's 1500 - Calvin 15:02
Women's 4 x 100 IM - Hope - 4:15
Men's 4 x 100 IM - Albion - 3:41
Women's Progressive - Calvin - 4:50
Men's Progressive - Calvin - 4:10

What relays does Alma finish top three? Where is Olivet's best finish? Will Calvin suit up? How fast is Iturbe? Can Kzoo score?
User avatar
FranksRedHot
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby RollTide » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:08 pm

FranksRedHot wrote:Any Predictions?

I have some....

Women's 50 Back - Peel -26.99
Men's 50 Back - Clone Trooper #3 - 22. 45
Women's 50 Fly - Roberts - 26.87
Men's 50 Fly - Nate Kozycki - 22.99
Men's 50 Breast - Huttenlocher - 27.43
Women's 50 Breast - Sonday - 32.02
Men's 50 Free - Iturbe - 21.00
Women's 50 Free - The Ghost of VanHarn -20.33

Women's 1500 - Calvin - 16:20
Mixed Medley - Calvin - 1:42
Mixed Free - Calvin - 1:36
Men's 1500 - Calvin 15:02
Women's 4 x 100 IM - Hope - 4:15
Men's 4 x 100 IM - Albion - 3:41
Women's Progressive - Calvin - 4:50
Men's Progressive - Calvin - 4:10

What relays does Alma finish top three? Where is Olivet's best finish? Will Calvin suit up? How fast is Iturbe? Can Kzoo score?

Predicting Sam Holstege to win the 50 back is a very bold prediction.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
User avatar
RollTide
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby Crash Bandicoot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:36 am

Thoughts on the new event this year... Knockout 50’s??

From what I understand, the top 8 fastest times or whoever is entered swim a 50 (fly,back,breast,or free). Top 6 times get back up and go again, then top 4, then top 2, winner. (Herb Brooks would love this.)

Seems like it simulates a glorified broken 200 with a dive every time. Interesting to see if the sprinters will take the cake on this easily or will run out of steam and the 200 strokers will have the endurance to get the W.

Apparently they’re doing it for each stroke, thoughts on who you have winning each event?

[ Post made via iPhone ]
User avatar
Crash Bandicoot
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby spobrocy1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:33 am

Crash Bandicoot wrote:Thoughts on the new event this year... Knockout 50’s??

From what I understand, the top 8 fastest times or whoever is entered swim a 50 (fly,back,breast,or free). Top 6 times get back up and go again, then top 4, then top 2, winner. (Herb Brooks would love this.)

Seems like it simulates a glorified broken 200 with a dive every time. Interesting to see if the sprinters will take the cake on this easily or will run out of steam and the 200 strokers will have the endurance to get the W.

Apparently they’re doing it for each stroke, thoughts on who you have winning each event?

[ Post made via iPhone ]


Sounds like a pretty cool idea! Always great to see new ways to keep the relay meet interesting. Sometimes it seems like it gets a little old after a while. I don't know the lineup for this year - can somebody post it? 4 x 25 Relay with touchpads on both ends is always entertaining. As is the Coed Medley Relay with huge leads being gained and erased so quickly. Kenyon Relays had that one last week and it was pretty hype. MIAA doing either of those tomorrow?
spobrocy1
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:44 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby Archer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:05 am

Crash Bandicoot wrote:Thoughts on the new event this year... Knockout 50’s??

From what I understand, the top 8 fastest times or whoever is entered swim a 50 (fly,back,breast,or free). Top 6 times get back up and go again, then top 4, then top 2, winner. (Herb Brooks would love this.)


This sounds awesome (to watch more than swim!)

How quick is the turnaround between reps? like climb out and get back on the blocks fast? or do the 1st round of all the strokes, then start the next round? It'll be interesting to see if the 200-500 types can get through the first elimination when the sprinters are fresh before their advantage could start to take over.

There should be a boxing-style stare down between the blocks as the 2 finalists are introduced before the final.
User avatar
Archer
Moderator
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby facenorth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:47 am

Roll Tide wrote:

Predicting Sam Holstege to win the 50 back is a very bold prediction.


I believe that Ben Holstege is the third of five! Holstege brothers. Most on this forum don't know about the eldest sibling because he ran track. Not that anyone had any doubts about his athletic ability -- he was MIAA MVP in the field events. Perhaps the scariest thing here about this whole Holstege family is that 25-30 years from now if all of these boys all have 5 sons of their own, Calvin will have so many Holstege's on their roster at the same time that some of them will be swimming exhibition. Crazy to think about. For this reason alone, I don't want to respond to Archer in the other thread because they will single-handedly rewrite all of the exhibition records.

As far as the knockout 50's go...
Once we finish with the relays we will get started with the knockouts. What was discussed is that as quickly as the person running the scoreboard can get the names on the board for the next heat, the starter will call them up and they'll duke it out again. For example, the women's 50 fly will go first and they'll swim their 'quarterfinal' round of 8. The top four women from that heat advance and they'll hop out of the water and wait to see which lane they will swim in for the next heat. Once names are on the board and they're behind the blocks, the starter will call them up for the 'semi-final' or round of four. The same thing will happen for the top two in that heat for the final. Hope this helps! I also hope I'm interpreting it correctly :D
User avatar
facenorth
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 am

Re: Relay Meet

Postby King James » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:45 am

facenorth wrote:
As far as the knockout 50's go...
Once we finish with the relays we will get started with the knockouts. What was discussed is that as quickly as the person running the scoreboard can get the names on the board for the next heat, the starter will call them up and they'll duke it out again. For example, the women's 50 fly will go first and they'll swim their 'quarterfinal' round of 8. The top four women from that heat advance and they'll hop out of the water and wait to see which lane they will swim in for the next heat. Once names are on the board and they're behind the blocks, the starter will call them up for the 'semi-final' or round of four. The same thing will happen for the top two in that heat for the final. Hope this helps! I also hope I'm interpreting it correctly :D


This sounds like the coaches tricking the poor sprinters into a lactic acid set. Cool idea though. I think I'd prefer 25's but I imagine the logistics would be tough.
King James will be bringing his talents to D3Swimming.com
User avatar
King James
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Relay Meet

Postby DonCheadle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:31 pm

facenorth wrote:As far as the knockout 50's go...


This is a brilliant idea! How easy do the better swimmers go on #1? Who is best suited for this format? A 200 swimmer? A 500 swimmer?
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!
User avatar
DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor
 
Posts: 3856
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:00 am
Location: Hollywood, CA

Re: Relay Meet

Postby ncognito » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

.
ncognito
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:49 pm


Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests