Oct 19/20 meets

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

Oct 19/20 meets

Postby SalParadise » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Looks like we've got a couple meets this weekend: Calvin vs Hillsdale vs GVSU tonight, and Kzoo vs SVSU tomorrow. Figured I'd get a new topic going to discuss these meets.

The Calvin meet is currently ongoing, but I mostly want to say something about how Iturbe apparently went 1:40.98??? Was he suited? Shaved? Tapered? Did he just improve that much? Or was there just a mistake with the timing system?

A few other things I've noticed during the Calvin meet so far:
Weird not seeing Van Harn on the women's side, can definitely see a bit of a hole for Calvin's women there.

Men started off the meet with a very good 1:33.5 with the Holstege + Britton 2 medley, including a 22 split from Ben leading off and a 20.8 free from Noah on the end. Heard it might be an in-season record? I'm mostly too lazy to go back and check.

Serino had a good 200 with a 1:55.

Britton kinda died hard in the 1 fly, going out in 24 and back in 31. Olberding made up for this with a solid 54.

Hannah Chao with a nice 59 to start the year in the 100 back. Also a solid 2:14 200 IM

Bolstege broke 50 with a 49.9 in his 100 back.

Those are some of the more noteworthy times I noticed. Freshmen for both the men and women are looking pretty good. Trevor Sparks was the fastest 100 free on the men's side with a 49.7 (and Nolstege went a 51 after a 21 flat start 50... reminds me of Eli).

Mostly just wondering what happened with Julian.
SalParadise

Re: Oct 19/20 meets

Postby RollTide » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 pm

It looks like he went 20.35 anchoring a 200 free relay so maybe he was a bit tapered for the meet.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Postby facenorth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 am

Why does he have to be tapered because he swam fast? Can’t the dude just be legit? Iturbe was 1:55 and 4:03 in the freestyles in high school. Last time I checked, that’s better than halfway decent. He’s a talent, no question. Let’s celebrate that AND fast swimming in the MIAA.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
facenorth

Postby SalParadise » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:27 pm

He definitely can just be legit, and I didn't mean to discredit his swims at all. People on this forum tend to speculate way too much about people "resting" or not before in-season meets, and I always thought it was funny. Fast is fast, it doesn't matter how it happens, anyways. Iturbe's 200 free would have gotten 2nd at the conference meet last year behind himself (although Holstege's 8 free leadoff was a touch faster), and his 20.35 relay split was quite a bit faster than his 20.7 on the 2 free relay at conference. Pretty gnarly.

Some thoughts on the Kzoo results:
Decent backstroking by Shaker all around.

No Stille? Hopefully he comes back soon, he'll be important for Kzoo.

Solid 1:00 and 2:15 backstrokes from freshman Anderson on the women's side.

Crane tied with an SVSU guy in the 1000. Gotta love ties in long distance races.

Kzoo has infinity times more male divers than Calvin.

The freshmen seem to be big components of this team, on both sides.
SalParadise

Postby WilliamWallace » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 pm

Iturbe was suited but far from rested. He wanted to get the school record in the first meet. (1:39.45)
The set I heard when I asked was 24x100 best average or something like that and he had some crazy numbers. The kid is just fast and getting faster.

It’s one meet into the season (during the peak of training time) and already people are throwing the rested card on the table. Good grief...

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby spobrocy1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:08 am

WilliamWallace wrote:Iturbe was suited but far from rested. He wanted to get the school record in the first meet. (1:39.45)
The set I heard when I asked was 24x100 best average or something like that and he had some crazy numbers. The kid is just fast and getting faster.

It’s one meet into the season (during the peak of training time) and already people are throwing the rested card on the table. Good grief...

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Gotta agree with William here. The whole "he was tapered" for the meet thing is just ridiculous - the insinuation being that Dan picked out Iturbe out of a roster of 60 plus swimmers, and specifically rested him only for a meet that means nothing. C'mon now. He swam fast because he is fast, and also as William pointed out, being suited helped as well. I would speculate that he probably worked his butt off this summer and came into the season ready to go. Just speculation though.
spobrocy1

Postby RollTide » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 am

spobrocy1 wrote:
Gotta agree with William here. The whole "he was tapered" for the meet thing is just ridiculous - the insinuation being that Dan picked out Iturbe out of a roster of 60 plus swimmers, and specifically rested him only for a meet that means nothing.

I have no idea why but this made me picture Dan embracing the current Mega Millions jackpot and just putting the names of all his swimmers into a hat and then choosing one to get rested for every meet. It’s the taper lottery!

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Postby Ghost of Fleming » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 am

He almost beats is winning time from conference and all the Calvin slappys try to act like he wasn't rested. Get that BS out of here

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
Last edited by Ghost of Fleming on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Fleming

Postby Ghost of Fleming » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:15 am

WilliamWallace wrote:Iturbe was suited but far from rested. He wanted to get the school record in the first meet. (1:39.45)

[ Post made via iPhone ]

I would have gone 17.5 if I had been that close to my conference time in "Peak Training"
Ghost of Fleming

Postby OfficalDan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:34 am

I've decided the only thing that matters is going 5-0 in dual meet season #UnDefeated
"Hey bring my sword back"
OfficalDan

Postby SalParadise » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:53 am

Do coaches ever actually rest their teams for dual meets? In my experience, it’s not actually a thing, and it’s only ever been something that people claim happens when other people/teams go fast.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
SalParadise

Postby Not a Dr. » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:33 am

SalParadise wrote:Do coaches ever actually rest their teams for dual meets? In my experience, it’s not actually a thing, and it’s only ever been something that people claim happens when other people/teams go fast.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Part of me thinks who actually cares if he rested or not? 1:40 is good at any point in the season. But the other part of me thinks who cares if he goes 1:40 now, but goes 1:40 at the end of season. What’s actually the point of suiting up for the first meet?

Don’t get me wrong, I think he should easily be under that barrier by the end of season. But based on the disparities between certain guys’ (not necessarily his) midseason times vs their end of the year results, maybe now isn’t the time to worry about school records.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Not a Dr.

Postby WilliamWallace » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:12 pm

spobrocy1 wrote:

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Gotta agree with William here. The whole "he was tapered" for the meet thing is just ridiculous - the insinuation being that Dan picked out Iturbe out of a roster of 60 plus swimmers, and specifically rested him only for a meet that means nothing. C'mon now. He swam fast because he is fast, and also as William pointed out, being suited helped as well. I would speculate that he probably worked his butt off this summer and came into the season ready to go. Just speculation though.

Iturbe has been working his tail off all summer. Its the first meet of the season. This is 1/1 data points for him right now. I'd absolutely love to see this kid be able to put up times like that on the regular.
His biggest motivation is to take Muma off the record board in the 200 and eventually go for Venema in the 500. I gotta say, if he had gotten the school record in the first meet of the season, that would have been absolutely insane. Most people on the forums don't know this kid, but I have talked to him a few times and his personality and attitude are absolutely the type to want to prove his talent by doing something like that.

To hear him say in his spicy venezuelan accent "I broke the 200 record first meet of the season" would have been absolutely hilarious. Only thing I do know is that he is about to obliterate that time when he does get rested and shaved.
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby RollTide » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:22 am

I see the rosters are up for Hope and if CollegeSwimming isn’t wrong, Taber/JP got someone to transfer to Hope who has been 1:37 in the 2 free, 45 in the 100, 50 in the 100 back and 100 fly, 1:50 in the 200 back, and 1:51 in the 200 IM. The Hope turnaround has already begun.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Postby SalParadise » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Also looks like he was 4:43 in the 500 at a dual meet in high school and has a 4:02 400 IM. Good for Hope, and good for anyone who doesn't want the conference meet to wind up being a glorified dual meet like it was last year.
SalParadise

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association