Professional Swimming League

So maybe what you want to say (about swimming) doesn't quite fit into one of our other categories. This is the place for you.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

Re: Professional Swimming League

Postby plutus » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Swimming has no situations. Americans like sports with situations. Bottom of the ninth, 2 outs. Timeout with 30 seconds left down by 2. Football has a situation after every play.

If there were intermediate stop gaps in a pro swimming concept, like a team match race format with more random events, you might see some more drama.
Some say a cucumber tastes better pickled.
plutus

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 pm

skutbe01 wrote:What is the variety in basketball? At bottom, you're just going back and forth.

Football? back and forth.

Are you being serious with this? Saying that swimming is back and forth is not an oversimplification. Saying that football and basketball are at bottom back and forth is pretty absurd. Do they run up and down the court/field? Yes, but it's not just to see who finishes first. Plus, there are 1000s of iterations as to how a run down the court/field can turn out. In swimming, there's no one trying to stop you going back and forth. No matter how bad your race is, you're going to finish...unless you quit for some reason.

I also think you're misunderstanding me somewhat. I personally think that a professional swim league is a cool idea, but that's because I was a swimmer. You don't need to have been a football or basketball player to appreciate basketball. I would argue that only swimmers will appreciate swimming outside of the Olympics.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!
screeeeeeeeech

Postby silentp » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Football and basketball are bad examples. NASCAR? Horse racing?

But why is it so popular in the Olympics (it is among the top 3 Olympic sports in terms of viewership) and so unpopular the rest of the year? There has to be something they could do.

I do think a swim league could have potential but you'd have to think beyond standard swimming. 25s would be pretty cool to see. Open water would be fun and would focus on racing, but have it be shorter (couple hundred yards). Swim a NASCAR-like oval with 5-10 laps of 100 meters, or something, could be fun and would again be focusing on racing. Also, no one (outside of swimmers) cares about the different strokes.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!
silentp
Executive Team

Postby Negrodamus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:30 pm

plutus wrote:Swimming has no situations. Americans like sports with situations. Bottom of the ninth, 2 outs. Timeout with 30 seconds left down by 2. Football has a situation after every play.

Jersey Shore has a Situation too. Is that why they're popular?
"White people like Wayne Brady because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X."
Negrodamus
Executive Team

Postby swimbadger » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:05 pm

silentp wrote:Football and basketball are bad examples. NASCAR? Horse racing?

But why is it so popular in the Olympics (it is among the top 3 Olympic sports in terms of viewership) and so unpopular the rest of the year? There has to be something they could do.

I do think a swim league could have potential but you'd have to think beyond standard swimming. 25s would be pretty cool to see. Open water would be fun and would focus on racing, but have it be shorter (couple hundred yards). Swim a NASCAR-like oval with 5-10 laps of 100 meters, or something, could be fun and would again be focusing on racing. Also, no one (outside of swimmers) cares about the different strokes.

NASCAR = Crashes
Horse Racing = Betting

Without these I do not think they would hold such a draw. The U.S. (recently) has had less interest in Formula One, in part because there are fewer crashes.

Swimming is popular at the Olympics because of the International aspect, the select few that are competing at the top of their game instead of just a lot of good swimmers competing while broken down which is what would happen with a regular circuit. The focus would still be on the National Championships, World's and Olympics for these top swimmers. While you can get psyched up for a football or basketball game you cannot get quite the same results in swimming week after week. Focusing on the big meets means that you will not have as good performances week to week. Finally, upsets are really, really rare. We like to cheer for an underdog and there rarely is a successful underdog in swimming.
swimbadger

Postby Nicky Morgan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 am

screeeeeeeeech wrote:Just as an aside, Crossfit and swimming aren't really comparable either. Crossfit is basically a glorified obstacle course. Half the appeal is in seeing people do difficult things as fast as possible. There's no variety in swimming. At bottom, you're going back and forth.

Yeah ! I agree with you. I don't know that much about swimming style though. :D :D
Nicky Morgan

Previous

Return to General