MIAA’S 2020

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

RollTide
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

MIAA’S 2020

Post by RollTide » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm

I figure it’s time to start the thread on the MIAA Championship Meet. A couple takeaways:

-Hope was on fire tonight. They probably won’t be able to maintain the depth to win(on the men’s side at least), but it’s a great sign for them that they showed some fire on night one.

-Sub 1:40 splits tonight came from Iturbe, Heeres, and Boonstra.

-Nate Cobb led off in a 1:41... for Albion’s B Relay...

-Ryan Gelderloos proving nepotism doesn’t always work out. Something has to be a bit off considering he’s split much faster in the past. It would be ironic if the early season speed didn’t work for the legacy of the chief component of it.

-Olivet women went 10:02 in their A Relay and 8:34 in their B Relay. I’m not entirely sure what strategy Rob is trying to pull off but that has to be a bad feeling for the girls who expect to swim against top competition from other teams and then swim against the B relays. On the flip side, it has to be an awful feeling for the other girls who got destroyed by almost 2 minutes

Uptake
Team Affiliation: Calvin College

Re: MIAA’S 2020

Post by Uptake » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 pm

Could anyone else not get the sound to work in the livestream?

Also, what is up with that camera angle.... have the people setting it up never watched a swim meet on TV before? It was impossible to tell who was leading. I hope the Calvin staff can correct some of this for tomorrow.

Crash Bandicoot
Team Affiliation: Hope

Post by Crash Bandicoot » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 pm

Uptake wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 pm
Could anyone else not get the sound to work in the livestream?

Also, what is up with that camera angle.... have the people setting it up never watched a swim meet on TV before? It was impossible to tell who was leading. I hope the Calvin staff can correct some of this for tomorrow.
Retweet, only benefit of the camera angle tonight was being able to see the board for splits. I'm not asking for an underwater camera on a track, but at least put the camera on the side and plug in some audio.

Anyways, back to the swims...

Men's Take:

The HMS "Bad Boys" strolled on deck and took care of business with a 6:42.17!! A new school and MIAA record. Freshman Boonstra with a 1:38.48 leg was impressive, but also was hoping for a sub 1:40 swim from Keith. Excited to watch those two and Iturbine in the individual 200 Free.

Albion A and Albion B both go 6:52 to take 3rd in A-Final (32 pts) and 1st in B-Final (18 pts). Smart decision going after B-Final win knowing that they could hold 3rd in A-Final no problem with a 50 pt total. Calvin A and B take 2nd in both finals (34 and 14) for a 48 pt total. Maybe just an unexpected result for Gelderloos with a 1:44.5, but both Hope and Albion men have to feel good to come into Calvin's house and punch them in the jejunum on the first night even if it won't continue the rest of the meet. Definitely a small mental blow to Calvin to see a 3rd in front of their name on scoresheet anytime during the meet.

Eric Wood (1:42.5) and company bust a 7:05, which also beat Kzoo had they not been DQ'd already. #GoComets

Women's Take:

Taber's playing chess while the other coaches are playing checkers. Very shocked here to see Hope's A and B beat Calvin's A and B. A-Final was a tight race between Albion, Calvin, and Hope diving into the last leg, but Emma Schaefer and 3 FRESHMEN steal the W. Great swims by all of Hope's girls on the A and B to take some pts from an always heavy-freestyle dominant Calvin. Albion B also sneaks past Calvin B to note.

Time difference in 800 Free relay's from midseason meet times:

Men
- Hope A -7.84
- Calvin A -0.13
- Albion A -8.37

Women
- Hope A -13.35
- Calvin A -0.95
- Albion A -14.71
Hope B -19.97
Albion B -22.27
Calvin B -1.08

Crushing opponents in midseason dual meets is fun and all, but the prize in the end is what matters. On to Day 2...

Peruvian Puff Pepper
Team Affiliation: Albion College

Post by Peruvian Puff Pepper » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:26 am

For Nate Cobb: a quote from Thad Castle of Blue Mountain State, after that nice 200 Free lead off leg.

“I always thought you had little pussy balls. But today, you showed me that inside that little pussy ballsack of yours, are other balls; bigger balls. Balls, that while still not as big as my balls, are bigger than the pussy balls I thought you had.”

Bonejamin
Team Affiliation: Olivet

Post by Bonejamin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm here with ESPN swimming. I have to say, great races all around for finals today. Loving the team comradery with Hope and Olivet uniting for the same cheer.

But the one thing on this reporters mind is;
Will Calvins win over Hope in the 400 IM be enough for Calvin to finally install a "Julian Iturbe Warm-Up Lane"?

Everyone goes too slow in warm-ups for the 4im champ. I can't help but wonder if he would have won by a larger margin had he not been stuck with mediocre d3 swimmers in warm-up.

Merlin
Team Affiliation: oxford

Post by Merlin » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:30 am

Going into the last day, the meet is still a toss up...and today is going to be exciting. The atmosphere has been electric. Calvin's Men have to make up a 34 point deficit. Hope sits 36 back with Albion seeming to be on the outside looking in. On the Men's side, both have 18 swims plus diving in prelims. Apparently Calvin thought that it's distance swimmers were all ex worthy. Interesting to see how that plays out. On the women's side, Albion has 14 morning swims, Calvin with 17, and Hope with 19.

So far the meet has been SO much deeper than any previous of the 4 or 5 years. Great to see the competition getting better. Who is going to break down the swims so far?

Lastly, "Bonejamin" has been seen sitting at a table set up by Olivet or Hope at an "ESPN" desk with a headset. Anyone know what radio channel that one can tune into in order to get the play by play. No offense to WW..he's been doing a great job. Maybe WW should head over and get his pic with the celebrity sports-caster of long ago.....

Anyone got a handle on those signs that Hope and Olivet are flashing? Has a mascot been stolen yet? We need more drama on this last day.

Sheev
Team Affiliation: Hope

Post by Sheev » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:47 am

The Senate approves of this meet

....aside from DK getting sick again. Kid can’t catch a break. Hope to see him available for the 4 free tonight.

Merlin
Team Affiliation: oxford

Post by Merlin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:37 pm

Really been looking forward to the banter and analysis...I am too old to do all of the statistical break-downs...so I'll leave that to the smarter folk on here.

Calvin...nothing? You got the women's title back, although it may only be for this year based on what "Taber the recruiting Saber" has coming in next year.
Albion...you won the Men's title and no gloating on the beat-down you put on?
Hope/KZoo?? the Wise Owl appeared at multiple team locations. Hope apparently likes to cheer for O-L-I-V-E-T....
Olivet and Alma...c'mon...they had some good swims.

Overall the league seemed much deeper at 8th this year than it has ever been, and depth into 16th is getting better, even though the top-end swims might have been a little slower across the board.

Calvin proved that it can maintain it's mid-season speed, and everyone proved they can get be faster at the end.

Missing Dan Keith for the remainder of the meet, and there was some rumored drama around Gabe Kirk's health.

Relays, Conference champs, up-and-comers, all of this and so much more. Let's hear the thoughts.

RollTide
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Post by RollTide » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:56 pm

Merlin wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:37 pm
Really been looking forward to the banter and analysis...I am too old to do all of the statistical break-downs...so I'll leave that to the smarter folk on here.
Same here Merlin. I’ve been in a holding pattern waiting for somebody to post, but it just hasn’t happened yet. Where are facenorth, the all seeing eye, or Salad Fingers when you need them?

I’ll be the first to say I was wrong on my prediction. I thought the Calvin men would have the depth to outslug Albion, but it didn’t happen. Camy was lights out at midseason but rumors are that him and Heeres were both sick, along with whatever was going on with Gabe Kirk. Speaking of Gabe Kirk, he went from the hospital bed to a 57 in the 100 breast in about 2 days. Something seems kind of fishy about it, but a different kind of fishy because Skylar wasn’t on deck this year for the first time in decades. Calvin also loses some big points next year as Jim Sandalls, Brian Groins, and others are graduating.

Albion showed up. They had some guys who didn’t perform as expected (Mac Robertson anyone?), but then others who stepped up big time. Nate Cobb proved all of the members of the Nate Cobb fan club on this forum right by dropping some huge times. Connor Robertson was lights out the entire meet, and others like Cole Nelson, Evan Wonner, and Declan Tharp stepped up where they were needed. Tyler Kimbrell also completed the 4-peat. They do lose a lot of points and 3/4 of their medley relay in their senior class so others will have to step up. This meets also marks the end of Huidobro’s career(I think) so that’s more points they need to replace as well.

I will leave the in depth Hope analysis to others, but I’ll just say Taber Magic was on deck in full force this weekend.

Kzoo had some phenomenal swims as well as Mary Trimble took the 500 and led for most of the mile. Grant Stille finally broke 21 from a flat start and 20 from a relay start. Brenden French completed his return from his odyssey to go 55.9 in the 100 breast, and I don’t know if anybody saw but Claire Cebelak dropped a 53.9 split from literally out of nowhere on the Kzoo women’s 400 free relay. Speaking of the women’s 400 free relay, Kalamazoo broke a team record with Erin Radermacher, a sophomore, and two freshmen on the relay.

Olivet men broke a few team records between Eric Wood, Jacob Ritter, and Taco. The California connection appears to be paying off but now we are going to see what life after Eric Wood is like for the Olivet freestylers. On the women’s side, it appears they really wanted to beat Alma by putting their A swimmers on B relays the whole meet to take a 5th place finish in those finals. Also put some non divers in diving for that exact same reason(although one of them did beat a Calvin diver). Still didn’t work out though :lol:

Finally, Alma had some good swims all weekend including a monster swim from Nate Sutton in the mile. To put the swim in perspective, he went 4:45 in the 500 in finals on Thursday. In the mile, he TOOK OUT his 500 in 4:51 to his feet, proceeded to break his own school record in the 1000 by ten seconds, and then broke the school record in the mile by 20 seconds. He just missed a B cut and had Bailey Smith not swam the easiest looking 16:02 ever, it might’ve been quite the race. Bodes well for that program’s future.

I hope this post and Merlin’s post have inspired some of you waiting in the wings to come out and start posting again (Looking at you Muma).

WilliamWallace
Team Affiliation: Calvin

Post by WilliamWallace » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:50 pm

All MIAA list came out today

Men

Albion racked up an impressive 8 names swimming 1 diving (almost half)
Hope with 4 swimming 1 diving
Calvin with 4 swimming
Kalamazoo with 1 swimming 1 diving

2019-20 Men's Swimming All-MIAA
Gabe Boonstra, Hope
Dan Clyde, Hope
Nate Cobb, Albion
Brenden French, Kalamazoo
Jake Heeres, Calvin
Noah Holstege, Calvin
Gerardo Huidobro, Albion
Jake Huttenlocher, Albion
Julian Iturbe, Calvin --- MVP
Daniel Keith, Hope
Tyler Kimbrell, Albion
Noah Mitchell, Albion
Cole Nelson, Albion
Tim Randall, Calvin
Connor Robertson, Albion
Bailey Smith, Hope
Evan Wonner, Albion

2019-20 Men's Diving All-MIAA
Sam Ankley, Kalamazoo
Justin Huttenlocher, Albion
Kam Wilcox, Hope --- MVP

Women

Albion with 5 swimming
Calvin with 3 swimming 1 diving
Hope with 7 swimming (also very impressive)
Kalamazoo with 2 swimming 2 diving

2019-20 Women's Swimming All-MIAA
Hannah Chao, Calvin
Rileigh Eding, Albion
Erin Emmert, Hope
Emma Engle, Hope
Emily Gunderson, Calvin
Katy Henning, Albion
Kaitlind Hooper, Albion
Emily Kurt, Hope
Tarah Lang, Hope
Nicole McCann, Albion
Paula Nolte, Hope
Erin Radermacher, Kalamazoo
Hope Reynolds, Hope
Emma Schaefer, Hope --- MVP
Samantha Swingewood, Albion
Mary Trimble, Kalamazoo
Abbey Wellman, Calvin

2019-20 Women's Diving All-MIAA
Sarah Densham, Kalamazoo
Hannabeth Magnussen, Calvin --- MVP
Eve Petrie, Kalamazoo
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."

Unionsteels4
Team Affiliation: NA

Post by Unionsteels4 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:42 pm

What a meet! Couple things

Definitely more depth in this conference, and as expected by anyone paying attention, the freshmen in the conference are absolutely lights out. Very impressive from all 6 teams, at least on the men's side.

As for top times being a little slower, the MIAA got nailed with the sickness bug at the worst possible time. Hope was hit right before taper started, Albion was hit a week out, and Calvin had some freshmen get nailed at the meet. Tough stuff, but sports are about powering through adversity and holy cow, Albion depth. NINE(!!!) all conference men? Zoinks :shock:

The men's side was finally less of a dual meet, in terms of medals if not points. Hope men bringing home 2 relay wins in who knows how long, as well as some silvers. Zoo boys showed their stuff in the 2 free and would have beat Calvin in a 4 med if not for a 43.9 from iturbe. Depth still the issue on Hope and Zoo as neither came close to 2nd in the b-lays. Climbing, but not quite there

Anyone got news on nationals?

WilliamWallace
Team Affiliation: Calvin

Post by WilliamWallace » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:56 pm

I’ll post the MIAA in NCAA topic when the sheet comes out. I know there’s a bunch of relays on the fence last I checked. The ncaas never take a consistent number of any races so last year they took 18 in some relays this year they could take 16. You never know. It’s a nerve wracking game. I’ll get the psych sheet sent to me when it’s finalized and summarize it here.
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."