[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
d3swimming.com • View topic - D3 Mid-Season Power Rankings

D3 Mid-Season Power Rankings

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

D3 Mid-Season Power Rankings

Postby a dude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:07 am

Big props to Hannah Saiz who has started writing for Swimswam. I thought these were pretty good power rankings, and I've enjoyed seeing the D3 articles up throughout the year.

http://swimswam.com/womens-diii-midseas ... ing-noise/

To me, it also seemed that JHU was very strong in their mid-season invite. I could see Kenyon or Denison developing a few more scorers by the time the NCAA Championships roll around and making it close, though. I think the women's side is the meet to watch with Emory lacking the same depth they've had in the past few years. Anyone have any predictions or insight about developing swimmers for Williams and Amherst? How about some of that scoring analysis that got done for the men's TPSC and Miami Invites?
a dude

Re: D3 Mid-Season Power Rankings

Postby Natalog » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Okay, I took the results from 8 mid-season meets, added them to the Miami Invite, and removed all the non-DIII teams. It gives a ballpark approximation, but keep in mind that there is no diving and no Williams, Amherst, Stevens, Trinity, Hamilton, Redlands, or Chicago.

Natalog

Postby polarbear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 am

Williams will be interesting this year -- they graduated some, including Wilson, but have Angela Sun back and Megan Pierce has been very strong in season (2:05 fly and 2:07IM, both of which I believe are best times for her), and have added a couple of freestylers although NESCAC women seems a little weaker on the sprinters this year.

Amherst is not as strong, and with the arrival of Pierce their butterflyer Conklin will not be #1 in NE. They graduated too much freestyle depth although I still expect them to send their relays.

Hamilton continues its slide. They may be able to put a relay together behind Maggie but I will be surprised -- although I was surprised that they sent one last year as well.

Midd women may be able to with Tibbetts and Hillas but Tibbetts is noticeably slower than in years past. Their teams have started to decline -- the men are much weaker this year.

Look for Conn to be much better with a strong freshmen class. same with Bates, although I believe both will be just on the outside with their relays.
polarbear

Postby a dude » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Wow, thank you for the scoring analysis Natalog. Really cool stuff. I will also point out that B Relays were scored in the total, which won't be the case come NCAAs and accounts for some of the gap between the top four and the rest.

If Emory repeats, it looks like it will be due to their huge group of IMers and breaststrokers. Five out of the top ten in the 200 IM, but it looks like some NESCAC swimmers like Emily Hyde or Megan Pierce will break up that some. That list made me realize they have good depth in just about every event to support the big scoring in the IM and breaststroke, too.

After the Amherst vs Williams results, I'd say that Williams is looking pretty good for having just graduated Caroline Williams. Seems like they have two freshman that have the chance to make a big impact nationally with Megan Pierce and Lauren Jones, but maybe we should wait until NESCACs. Freshmen swim funny in their first rivalry meets, sometimes. Their 800 freestyle relay should be pretty fast and the medleys look good. Hopefully Amherst is recruiting some fast freestylers, they have some pieces for a great medley but have a senior anchor.
a dude

Postby swimd3fan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks for the interesting lists, Natalog. I wanted to ask a question about the Meet Results list. I noticed there seems to be duplication of some individual events in the list (e.g. Events 205 and 267 are both 200 freestyle, 213 and 268 are duplicate events, etc) and I noticed at least that for the 200 Free the results aren't the same in order of finish. Just wanted to find out if that was intentional and I'm not understanding something. If its a mistake, does it carry over to the Team results?
swimd3fan

Postby Natalog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:05 pm

My apologies. No, there shouldn't be duplicate events, and, yes, that'll make a big difference in the team standings. The meet results for the Miami Invite didn't mark those duplicate events as "time trials" so the software assumed they were scored events, which caused swimmers to reach their event limits earlier, and some fast relays to be discarded.

I've updated the two documents (same links as above), and the race for first is close:

Emory - 1489
Denison - 1466
Kenyon - 1356
JHU - 1247

Let me know if you spot anything else awry. Scoring 'B' relays is certainly a difference from NCAAs that will cause these team standings to be top-heavy. Three finals heats and 9 lanes in finals might do that too, but it helps to compare those teams in the middle.
Natalog

Postby Truthinswmng » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Truthinswmng

Return to Women's Forum