Which girls will dominate at NCAA?

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Which girls will dominate at NCAA?

Postby Willswim » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:50 am

They seem to always be talking about the men. How about getting the women's forum up and running and discussing which ladies will dominate at NCAA's this year. Now that Stern is gone the 100, 200 and 500 are up for grabs. Besides Wilson in the 500 who will step up this year? Can anyone challenge Todhunter in fly and IM? Any news on incoming freshman? Finally, can Emory repeat again?
Alot to talk about, let's get it going. I have swim fever and want the season to start.
Willswim

Re: Which girls will dominate at NCAA?

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I can only answer one question of yours: Emory women will kill it again this year. It's gotten to the point where they don't just rebuild. Instead, they reload. I bet they win the meet by at least 100 points.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!
screeeeeeeeech

Postby imJumbo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Toddhunter and Wilson will take their 3 events no problem. They're SO far ahead of everyone else it's not even close (and is sorta boring to know the result but exciting to see how low the clock will go).

I think the biggest questions are in the breaststrokes. There really is no clear favorite in either the 100 or 200.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
imJumbo

Postby Willswim » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Screeeeeeeech,

I'm not so sure about Emory. they lost some big names and a lot of points in Horvath and Whitley. Do you know if they picked up any freshman of that caliber?
Willswim

Postby imJumbo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Willswim, obviously you question whether Emory will win, and I'm sure you have an opinion and would love to see Williams win. Do you have info on what sort of caliber they brought in? Emory left girls that would have scored at home last year. So yes, they did lose more at the national meet than Williams. What does Williams have coming in? If they are bringing in 5 or so legit swimmers that will score individual points (top 8 especially) then sure they could give them a run. Info?

[ Post made via iPhone ]
imJumbo

Postby Willswim » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:35 am

Imjumbo

I realy wasn't saying Emory will not win, because I think they will. I was pointing out that they may not "kill it" as Screeeeeeeech points out because they did lose alot of big point girls. Williams did pick up some good ladies, I believe another good sprinter and maybe a fairly good breast stroker (not so sure on that one). They also have some ladies that may have been under the weather and may make an impact this year. Will they win? I hope so, but realistically I wasn't really even intimating that. I would hope for improvement, especially for my daughter (just stating the obvious), and maybe a second place finish for the team.

Now can we also get back to my original post questions as to who will step up to replace Stern and what (as the men would say, but it shouldn't actually apply to the women) studs are coming in as freshman?
Willswim

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 am

Willswim and company, I'm going to take an ethics test (MPRE garbage), but I will respond to your thoughts later today. I stand by my statement that Emory women will kill it.
screeeeeeeeech

Postby imJumbo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:54 am

Ooh, that sounds fun. Ethics test... btw I'm on your side, Emory wins by 200 or so. Just trying to stir the pot.
imJumbo

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:20 am

Nancy Larson: 23.9 and 52.0 at last dual meet (Frosh). Also named UAA athlete of the week. Definitely one to watch for.
Megan Beach was a solid 225 in the 2breast. Not a world-beater, but based on how Jon improves breastrokers, I'd say she's gonna be good.
Also, Newsum-something went 505 in the 5. Another distance kid goes to Emory (shocking).
These are just 3 frosh that stood out to me. Yes it is going to be impossible to replace Liz Horvat, but Emory has a nasty nucleus and some solid newcomers that should fit right in. Also, someone pointed out that they left women home last year. Just my two cents.
Aside: Logan Todhunter is a machine. She wins swimmer of the year.
screeeeeeeeech

Postby polarbear » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:01 pm

screeeeeeeeech wrote:Willswim and company, I'm going to take an ethics test (MPRE garbage), but I will respond to your thoughts later today. I stand by my statement that Emory women will kill it.

Please tell me you didn't study for the MPRE
polarbear

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:41 pm

I think calling what I did "studying" would probably be materially misleading...
screeeeeeeeech

Postby swimmer91 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Taylor Kitayama of JHU- 55.70 (100 back) and 1:58.99 (200 back) this weekend. Sounds fast to me
swimmer91

Postby wickedfoolish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 pm

swimmer91 wrote:Taylor Kitayama of JHU- 55.70 (100 back) and 1:58.99 (200 back) this weekend. Sounds fast to me

Transfer? Steroids?

These are title times.
Many people think Spain is here...
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that claim Spain is here...those people too are wrong.
Where is Spain? It could be...here? here? here?
wickedfoolish

Postby wickedfoolish » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm

wickedfoolish wrote:
swimmer91 wrote:Taylor Kitayama of JHU- 55.70 (100 back) and 1:58.99 (200 back) this weekend. Sounds fast to me

Transfer? Steroids?

These are title times.

I also confirmed that its a girl, not a guy.
Many people think Spain is here...
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that claim Spain is here...those people too are wrong.
Where is Spain? It could be...here? here? here?
wickedfoolish

Postby swimmer91 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:13 pm

wickedfoolish wrote:

Transfer? Steroids?

These are title times.

No she swam for JHU last year. Was 55.81, and 2:02.69. Also 56.49 in the 100 fly (this year same meet as the two other times.) She seems like she is a contender for both backstrokes this year.
swimmer91

Next

Return to Women's Forum