[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
d3swimming.com • View topic - Emory v. Denison

Emory v. Denison

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Emory v. Denison

Postby Truthinswmng » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:21 am

Two teams. 18 swimmers each. Re-taper v. First Taper. Does it come down to the 400 FR?
Truthinswmng

Re: Emory v. Denison

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Nope. Won't come down to the 4FR, although the meet will be close. Not having to retaper is a huge advantage to Emory that cannot be understated. I don't understand why Denison goes after their conference meet so hard every year, particularly in a year like this where they have a shot at 1st at NCAAs. Greg is obviously a great coach, but dropping your whole team a month before the show doesn't make much sense to me.
Honestly, I am almost salivating over how I think the Emory women will swim at NCAAs. There's been a ton of talk about their team already, particularly about how they had to cut people. I've been out of the loop for a couple years, but I'd put a lot of money on Jon having them ready to go in Knoxville.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!
screeeeeeeeech

Postby babwik » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:53 am

I think Emory will kill them, and I don't think it has anything to do with Denison's conference meet strategy. Emory is just too stacked at the top. Denison was thrilled to get their last few qualifiers in, while Emory is leaving home about 5 women. Denison will have some awesome relays and some great moments, but Emory's depth is relentless, and will keep piling it on for 4 days.
babwik

Postby silentp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 am

The fight will be Denison vs Kenyon vs Williams for 2nd.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!
silentp
Executive Team

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Agree with Babwik. I wrote an article about this a couple of months ago when the Kenyon women were ranked 1st in the coaches' poll. Emory women have strength, speed and depth in almost every event. I don't think most people realize how nasty they really are, especially since most of the women haven't tapered since December (and even then a lot of them were on a short drop instead of a full taper).
The Emory women are going to swim absolutely lights out when they're finally let off the leash in Knoxville. It is going to be filthy.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!
screeeeeeeeech

Postby wickedfoolish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Many people think Spain is here...
On the other hand, there is a school of thought that claim Spain is here...those people too are wrong.
Where is Spain? It could be...here? here? here?
wickedfoolish

Postby silentp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
silentp
Executive Team

Postby N Dynamite » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I think he was saying Emory - Denison - Williams - Amherst - Kenyon, although I don't see the top four changing from last year except for possibly the order. I thought the same thing until I realized his post included everyone but the team he assumed would be first - Emory.
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.
N Dynamite

Postby silentp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:10 pm

silentp
Executive Team

Postby imJumbo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I think Williams women can beat out Dennison for the 2 spot. Just glancing at the psych sheet, Denison has a stronger breast, and back (although neither are fantastic at back) core, Williams has the stronger Fly, Distance Free, and IM, and the sprint free is a tossup. Denison has the better relays, but I think the "3 unit" advantage (of IM, Fly, Distance) will beat out the "2 unit" group of Denison. I think for Williams you can count on at least 115 Individual points from just Toddhunter and Wilson alone. Add in the fly and IM core, they could score over 200-220 individual points at the meet. Throw in the 150 or so from relays (so around 350-maybe 400) points at nats, that could be enough for 2nd.

I don't think Amherst can hold with Kenyon. They have Kendra, which is 60 individually, and they'll be able to get at least 100 points from relays. They have a few other swimmers who will probably make the consols, so maybe say another 50 individual points. So that's only a tad over 200 for a team. That, I don't think, will let them challenge Kenyon for 4th.

This is all without actually calculating things, just by looking at different event disparities.

My top 5 are:
1 Emory (they will run away with it)
2 Williams
3/4 Denison/Kenyon (tossup here, again I didn't really calculate things out)
5 Amherst
imJumbo

Postby sweatyh20dad » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:03 pm

I think this year's version of the Emory Eagles established themselves as one of the best, if not the best, D3 women's teams of all time with their repeat national championship. I don't know how you can compare era's, but they were overwhelming and relentless.

The Eagles were filthy good and took no prisoners. What an awesome display. The women from Atlanta were stacked from top to bottom, and left to right with no weaknesses.

Sure, some other teams might have a couple more superstars, but Emory's superior depth killed everyone else. Unfortunately, they might get overlooked by the result on the men's side.

This one was over early, a TKO and taken out on a stretcher.

186 point diffference? Are you kidding me? Denison and Williams had a boatload of talent.
sweatyh20dad

Postby Truthinswmng » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 am

Truthinswmng

Postby swimlong » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 pm

swimlong

Return to Women's Forum