Women's First Day

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Women's First Day

Postby My Spoon's Too Big! » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Predictions for the first day:
500 Free: K. Stern
200 IM: Nicholson
50 Free: Stridh
200 MR: Denison (a toughie here, but I think they can hold off Kenyon)
Last edited by My Spoon's Too Big! on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to be able to look in the mirror and be integrity with myself.
My Spoon's Too Big!

Re: Women's First Day

Postby Nescacfan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:29 pm

My Spoon's Too Big! wrote:Predictions for the first day:
500 Free: K. Stern
200 IM: Nicholson
50 Free: Stern
200 MR: Denison (a toughie here, but I think they can hold off Kenyon)

Kendra Stern is not swimming the 50 free. I'll go with Carlton of Kenyon.
Stern will have to break 4:50 to win the 500 free. That means going out faster than she did last year. I think she can do it.
The 200 IM is too short for Nicholson. I'm going with Vereshchagin of Kenyon. I expect Kenyon to have big time drops this week.
I agree that Denison will just edge out Kenyon in the 200 Medley.
Nescacfan

Postby My Spoon's Too Big! » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Yeah, I meant to write Stridh for the 50; I changed it above.

The 500 should be great. Horvat will go under 4:50 as well.
My Spoon's Too Big!

Postby Nescacfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 am

I wonder if any records will be broken in prelims. That might just happen in the 500 free today as swimmers go all out to make the championship heat. Last year, Sasser broke the 200 IM record in the next to last heat only to have Orstein swim faster in the next heat. They both broke Orstein's prelim record in the finals with Orstein almost breaking the 2:00 mark.
Nescacfan

Postby Nescacfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 am

Horvat just broke 4:50 in prelims. I think that makes her a favorite for tonight. Kendra Stern will have to swim a faster front half to make it a race.
Nescacfan

Postby swammer02 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49 pm

kenyon breaks the ncaa meet record in the 200 medley relay without 2 (3?) of the girls who will be swimming tonight.
Last edited by swammer02 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swammer02

Postby My Spoon's Too Big! » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

swammer02 wrote:kenyon breaks the ncaa record in the 200 medley relay without 2 (3?) of the girls who will be swimming tonight.

They may have the meet record, but Denison will probably go under them tonight to take it back. It'll be a close race. Kenyon will replace Hurd and Quinn with Ertel and Carlton. It'd be interesting to see splits to see how much time they can take off.

Also, the NCAA record belongs to Denison from NCAC's this year (1:41.1). Denison will put their much-faster breaststroker on the team tonight (Golovkina). It would be interesting to see what Zaleski split on the fly seeing as her 50 free was a little off, but if she's on tonight, Denison will be the favorites.
My Spoon's Too Big!

Postby neswim » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm

All in all an interesting morning. My take of prelim results versus my expectations:

*Kenyon
Had three more point scorers largely due great depths in the 200 IM. This first day is the weakest for the Ladies. Looks to me as if they are poised to end with a slight lead, just a bit better than I expected.

*Emory
Performing much better than I expected. I did have them ahead of Williams by end of the first day but this lead will be larger. My surprise is that they could finish ahead of Denison.

*Denison
Basically performing in line but given Emory's strong first morning and Kenyon swimming better than expected they will not finish as strong as I expected.

*Williams
Like Kenyon not the best day for Williams. I thought they would be behind Emory and then would catch them later in the meet. The deficit will be larger and they might be chasing Denison. Seems that time size does matter.

Some very strong swims in all three events...should be great races.

No more posts from me....I'm off to MPLS tonight for live action.
neswim

Postby Nescacfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 pm

It does look like Emory will be in the hunt for second with Denison. I'm not sure that Williams [except for Todhunter] rehit their tapers. Most of the top Williams women added time this am. I think Williams will be moving down to fourth.
Nescacfan

Postby Nescacfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Liz Horvat bests Kendra Stern in the 500 Free in record time: 4:47.04.
Nescacfan

Postby 99 Red » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:54 am

Denison and Emory tied after the first day. Can't ask for much more drama than that.
99 Red

Postby swammer00 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:05 am

Random thoughts and responses:

Todhunter and Nicholson were not tapered for NESCACs so it makes sense that they are doing better here at NCAA's. The rest of their team... not quite so much, with some exceptions.

Looks like Emory is taking advantage of those suits!

There was no way Ertel was going to be on that 200 medley for Kenyon. She's needed in their other 4 relays. I think Kenyon did pretty well in that relay but they need a faster butterflier. Menzel was just awesome... 27.6? She has a good shot of being under 1:02 in the 100 breast tomorrow. Kate Rich for Denison is on fire at this meet. 2:03 in the IM (3 second drop from already shaved-tapered conference time) and a 24.2 butterfly split. Her 100 fly should be good.

400 IM is going to be a good race I think! Nicholson and Brady should duel it out! I think Nicholson has the advantage but Brady had a great 200 IM and she's better at the longer distances.
swammer00

Return to Women's Forum