Official Psyche Sheet

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Official Psyche Sheet

Postby My Spoon's Too Big! » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:40 pm

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=933 Scroll down.

Steen went without: Amador, Hahn-Lawson, Chavalier, Wenzlau, and Moore.

He's going lite on the distance freestyle and stacking up the strokes, esp. fly and breast.
I want to be able to look in the mirror and be integrity with myself.
My Spoon's Too Big!

Re: Official Psyche Sheet

Postby sweatyh20dad » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Early observations in team size and qualifiers:

1) Kenyon, who else? Full boat.
2) Emory 16x
3) Denison 14x
4) Williams 11x

Any thoughts? Final order of finish?

It's going to be a crazy meet not really knowing who has "suited up" during the year.
sweatyh20dad

Postby openwater » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Mistake on the psyche sheet - the 2MR has the line drawn after row 10 but they actually invited Springfield from row 11 also. Check the 'invited time' in that pages header.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.
openwater

Postby Truthinswmng » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 pm

sweatyh20dad wrote:Early observations in team size and qualifiers:

2) Emory 16x
3) Denison 14x
4) Williams 11x

It's going to be a crazy meet not really knowing who has "suited up" during the year.

One thing for sure is none of Emory's qualifiers were "suited up" at Miami in December or UAA's.
Truthinswmng

Postby Nescacfan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:15 pm

sweatyh20dad wrote:Early observations in team size and qualifiers:

2) Emory 16x
3) Denison 14x
4) Williams 11x

I think we should add:
Amherst 11
Johns Hopkins 11
Calvin 11

I think William will battle Denison for second this year.
Nescacfan

Postby sweatyh20dad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:07 am

Nescacfan;

You're correct. I ran through that too quick while at work. We should add Amherst, JH and Calvin for consideration. Will it be quality over quantity? Nobody will know until "showtime" as there are so many inflated times.
sweatyh20dad

Postby screeeeeeeeech » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:03 am

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but don't count out the Emory women for 2nd. Denison's relays are faster as of now, but I suspect that the Eagles will pull something together in MN. After all, none of them have lzr'd up this year.
I may be missing something, but who does Williams have that puts them so far ahead of the game? I've got Ruth Westby, Clare (sp?) Pavlak and Liz Horvat each A finaling in 3 events. Pasternak will A final in 2, Ciardelli up in 2, down in 1, and as usual they have distance up the ying yang. Plus, mark my words that their relays are going to be FAST.
Adjusting expectations: so close to 500 posts!
screeeeeeeeech

Postby Nescacfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:25 am

Williams has a number of swimmers who are potential top 3 swimmers in multiple events: Nicholson, Ramsey, Todhunter, Patchen, Altenburger. Williams will have five strong relays. Williams looks a lot like the 2nd place Amherst teams of the past two years. Certainly, Emory will be in the hunt, but I think Williams is better.
Nescacfan

Postby neswim » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:39 am

Nescacfan wrote:Williams has a number of swimmers who are potential top 3 swimmers in multiple events: Nicholson, Ramsey, Todhunter, Patchen, Altenburger. Williams will have five strong relays. Williams looks a lot like the 2nd place Amherst teams of the past two years. Certainly, Emory will be in the hunt, but I think Williams is better.

I agree with NESCAC that the Williams "studs" will likely outscore Emory's "studs"....if you looking at how Emory can win then I suggest it will come from great swims from the "non-stud" swimmers on the Emory squad who can make their greataer depth pay-off. What will make this meet particularly interesting is given the NCAA expansion, there will be many more opportunities for such time drops and perhaps some of those "bubble" swimmers will "suit up" for the first time and manage to move up into scoring position.
neswim

Postby openwater » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:52 am

Denison, Emory, Williams - the closest 2-3-4 race ever. 4th place to the team that DQs a relay. And Amherst, although they graduated some backstroker, returns a multiple national champion and supporting cast. Its going to be crowded one floor below the penthouse.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.
openwater

Postby TheDon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:12 am

Note that Calvin has three divers in the meet. And there were a few Calvin swimmers that were not suited at MIAAs. Whether they will suit in Minneapolis remains to be seen.
TheDon

Postby Nescacfan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 pm

I think Amherst, Calvin and Johns Hopkins will battle it out for 5th spot this year. Amherst won 3 relays and 5 individual events last year. They won't do that well this year. Winning the 800 free for the 4th year in a row will be a real challenge. Kendra Stern should be the favorite in the 100 Fr, 200 Fr and co-favorite in the 500 with Horvat of Emory.
Nescacfan

Postby BreakingTheSurface » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Others in the mix -- what about the NYU women? they showed pretty strong at UAA's and any orphan swimmers (1 member/school) who could put up some good showings?
BreakingTheSurface

Return to Women's Forum