FY woman with highest point total at 2009 Nationals

We bring a different perspective to the pool and discuss swimming in our own way. This forum is dedicated to providing women with the space to talk about swimming the way we want to talk about swimming.

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Which FY woman will garner the highest point total in individual events at Nationals?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:54 am

Karina Stridh - Washington University
12%
Logan Todhunter - Williams
41%
Alisa Vereshchagin - Kenyon
47%

Total votes : 17

FY woman with highest point total at 2009 Nationals

Postby Nescacfan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:54 am

Last year, this topic generated a lot ofinterest. Once again, there are some super FY swimmers. I will stick with my NESCAC bias and pick Logan Todhunter to be the FY woman scoring the most points at Nationals in 3 individual events. Kendra Stern was my pick last year and she did not dissapoint with 60 points. Todhunter will be a major force in both fly events. She will be under 2:00 in the 200 fly for sure. I'm not sure what her third event will be, but I'm sure she will final in that event.

Alicia Vereshchagin looks to be the best of a talented group of Kenyon FY swimmers. She will be in the hunt for titles in both breast events and the 200 IM. Wash U's Karina Stridh will be in the mix for the 50 and 100 free and, most likely, the 100 back.

Any other swimmers who have a legitimate chance?
Nescacfan

Re: FY woman with highest point total at 2009 Nationals

Postby openwater » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:19 pm

I think from a point total it will be close.

While I can easily see Todhunter winning both Flys (possibly in dominant, National record times) I don't see evidence that she will be top 8 in anything else. She has lead off some 2MRs in decent times, has been 2:12 in both the 2Bk and 2IM and 5:12 in the 500. I expect her to find a B-cut in one of these but not much more. Maybe 45-46 pts.

I have to go with Vereshchagin - top 3 in both breaststrokes and 4-5 in the 2IM - a point or 2 more than Todhunter.

Stridh's strengths are in the scary one-mistake-and-your-done 50/100 - again no obviously outstanding 3rd event.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.
openwater

Postby neswim » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:19 am

I too think this is a two horse race between Todhunter and Vereshchagin. I think Vereschagin wins by a nose in terms of points but Todhunter is more likely to break a national record. I can see Vereshchagin eventually taking down the previously unthinkable Lindse Payne 200 breast record before she graduates.
neswim

Postby Nescacfan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:25 am

Anybody who breaks 2 minutes in the 200 fly will probably swim a strong 200 or 500 free. I think Coach Kuster has kept Todhunter's third event hidden from us.
Nescacfan

Postby neswim » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Nescacfan wrote:Anybody who breaks 2 minutes in the 200 fly will probably swim a strong 200 or 500 free. I think Coach Kuster has kept Todhunter's third event hidden from us.

No doubt she can swim a very fast 200 free, certainly top 8 if not top 5....and depending on how she has been trained for the 200 fly swim a pretty decent 500 free since most who swim the 2 fly can do a very good 5 free. Still I stand by my prediction.

To further stir the pot, believe that Kenyon will finally unseat Amherst in the 800 free relay in a new national record.
neswim

Postby Nescacfan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:09 pm

neswim wrote:
Nescacfan wrote:Anybody who breaks 2 minutes in the 200 fly will probably swim a strong 200 or 500 free. I think Coach Kuster has kept Todhunter's third event hidden from us.

No doubt she can swim a very fast 200 free, certainly top 8 if not top 5....and depending on how she has been trained for the 200 fly swim a pretty decent 500 free since most who swim the 2 fly can do a very good 5 free. Still I stand by my prediction.

To further stir the pot, believe that Kenyon will finally unseat Amherst in the 800 free relay in a new national record.

I also don't see Amhert women winning the 800 free relay this year. With the new suits in a fast pool in a meet spread over 4 days, I'm sure lots of records will be broken. Williams will be the strongest NESCAC team at Nationals this year. They will have 14-16 swimmers on their National team. Amherst, at most, will have 8-10 with a substantial number "relay-only".
Last edited by Nescacfan on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nescacfan

Postby BlackFire » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:03 am

I am not sure what kind of times Karina "The Hammer" Stridh will put up at NCAA's this year but she has a chance to be unbelievable in the future. She still has a lot of room to improve, especially if she can learn how to dive and turn.
"He hates these cans!"
BlackFire

Postby openwater » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:15 pm

openwater wrote:I think from a point total it will be close.

While I can easily see Todhunter winning both Flys (possibly in dominant, National record times) I don't see evidence that she will be top 8 in anything else. She has lead off some 2MRs in decent times, has been 2:12 in both the 2Bk and 2IM and 5:12 in the 500. I expect her to find a B-cut in one of these but not much more. Maybe 45-46 pts.

The NESCAC psyche sheet has Todhunter in all 3 Fly events plus the 2IM (2:12) and the 100 Back (59 high). So her 3rd event at Nats will be either the 1 Back or the 2 IM - going to be tough to make final 8 in either of those events. High point will definitely be Vereshchagin.
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.
openwater

Postby neswim » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

openwater wrote:

The NESCAC psyche sheet has Todhunter in all 3 Fly events plus the 2IM (2:12) and the 100 Back (59 high). So her 3rd event at Nats will be either the 1 Back or the 2 IM - going to be tough to make final 8 in either of those events. High point will definitely be Vereshchagin.

You might be right but I'd wait until this weekend. Seed times based on in-season swim in "off events" can be deceiving. Still I'd say based on Vereschchagin's unrested swims with ordinary suits that she will not only win the 200 handily but is likely to go 1:02 low in the 100 (note she holds the CT Branin Natatorium record of 1:02 from High School). In other words, she can probably match Todhunter in the first two events and it will come down to who has the better third event. Vereschchagin's 200 IM will be better than Todhunter's....overall the event line-up would seem to favor Vereschchagin.
neswim

Postby Nescacfan » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:17 am

neswim wrote:
openwater wrote:

You might be right but I'd wait until this weekend. Seed times based on in-season swim in "off events" can be deceiving. Still I'd say based on Vereschchagin's unrested swims with ordinary suits that she will not only win the 200 handily but is likely to go 1:02 low in the 100 (note she holds the CT Branin Natatorium record of 1:02 from High School). In other words, she can probably match Todhunter in the first two events and it will come down to who has the better third event. Vereschchagin's 200 IM will be better than Todhunter's....overall the event line-up would seem to favor Vereschchagin.

neswim:

Those Kenyon women had some awesome breaststroke swims these past weekend. Were Seltzer and Menzel also unrested with ordinary suits? Was that prelim 100 Br a best time for Seltzer?
Nescacfan

Postby neswim » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:28 pm

neswim wrote:
openwater wrote:

NO...all Kenyon A cut swimmers were unrested and did not wear Blue70s...the bubble swimmers, including Seltzer, wore the Blue70 and raced with different degrees of rest. That was a personal best swim for Seltzer. All three 100 breaststrokers will be considerably faster at nationals...but look at all of the Kenyon 200 breastrokers (include Kett, Lederer and Lewandowski in the group with Menzel, Verseschchagin and Seltzer and you have quite a formidable crew. Of course that is also true of the 200 and 400 IM. With 14 A cuts, the Ladies will enter the meet with the deepest squad in a very long time.
neswim

Postby Nescacfan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:40 pm

neswim wrote:

After NESCAC's, it is clear to me that, barring injury or illness, Todhunter, rested and tapered, will win both fly events. She exhibitioned the 200 IM in 2:08+. I think she can do a 2:05-2:06 in this event. Buried in the NESCAC results was her final leg in the 400 Free Relay: 50.83. What does that indicate about her 100 free or 200 free capabilty? I think her 200 free time could be 1:50 or under. She won't beat K. Stern, but she might have a chance for second or third.
Nescacfan

Postby babwik » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Would anyone double the 100 fly/200 free? They are back to back. It does indicate that she will be a huge relay presence beyond the medleys though. I agree that Todhunter should sweep the flys, and I would imagine her third event will be the 200im.
babwik

Postby neswim » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Nescacfan wrote:
After NESCAC's, it is clear to me that, barring injury or illness, Todhunter, rested and tapered, will win both fly events. She exhibitioned the 200 IM in 2:08+. I think she can do a 2:05-2:06 in this event. Buried in the NESCAC results was her final leg in the 400 Free Relay: 50.83. What does that indicate about her 100 free or 200 free capabilty? I think her 200 free time could be 1:50 or under. She won't beat K. Stern, but she might have a chance for second or third.

I didn't see her swim the 100 fly at NESCAC so perhaps you have the edge here but simply based on her performance at NESCAC, unless you confirm that she wasn't wearing a "suit", nothing suggests that she will "gap" Zaleski in this race. I do think she is the favorite but this is no slam dunk. Looking at the 200 IM splits, that breaststroke leg, while it won't prevent her from going 2:06 or slightly better, still will be no better than fourth or fifth at Nationals. Overall nothing from her performance at NESCAC, expect confirmation that she wasn't rested and didn't wear a "suit" would change my opinion that Vereschchagin is the likely high point FY swimmer.

On the other hand, I was very impressed with Williams and think that they can finish top 3 and possibly even 2 given Kuster's very excellent track record at getting his swimmers ready for Nationals. We know Parini went 100% for the conference win over Kenyon and that might cost his team three weeks from now in MN.
My predicitons are:
*Kenyon 1st by 200 points
*Williams edges out Denison for 2nd and Kudos to Kuster
*Denison 3rd, that's the price Parini pays for going 100% after the conference win
*Emory 4th.
neswim

Postby Truthinswmng » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am

Will be interesting to see what emory will do as their qualifiers did not rest, shave or wear technical suits for their conference meet. Did Williams?
Truthinswmng

Next

Return to Women's Forum