MIAA Preview

Moderators: Negrodamus, Diesel471, ThePlowman, Archer

MIAA Preview

Postby Merlin » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:36 am

I guess someone has to get this thing kick-started. Who's going to jump in from the MIAA relays and thoughts? Calvin's men and women were still dominate...winning 6 of 8 events on the men's side, and 4 of 8 on the women's. Albion's women looked strong, as did Kalamazoo and Alma women....some good talent added in the off-season. How about Hope's THREE women's breaststroke relays! Can we say depth in one event? And Alma taking a 3rd ahead of all of them in that relay. Olivet's women have a way to go it seems...but who knows?

Hopes men had some good freshmen talent as well, Jack Muller and Gabe Boonstra are legit. Kalamazoo also looked good with Brenden French and Oliver Tye solid additions. Olivet had some surprises...things are looking up for their men. Alma has some work to do there.

Overall, it looks like Calvin and Albion with an edge to Calvin on both sides, with Hope/Kalamazoo rounding out 3rd and 4th. We know Hope's women will have a say in things, but will the loss of Peel be too much for them to lose in order to repeat?

--Merlin--
Merlin

Re: MIAA Preview

Postby MIdoublebae » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:22 pm

Hope men looked solid at the relays and have some good recruits. I think that within 2-3 years, they will be one of the top competitors for MIAA champs. Their freshmen looked good, as did Keith, who also had some solid and versatile swims a couple weeks back.

Calvin's men 200 free (and to a lesser extent their 200 medley) relays seem to be very good even with the loss of B Holstege and Britton. Freshman Jacob Heeres seems legit and threw down some good times at the relays and the GVSU meet.

Albion men looked alright, maybe a bit sluggish, but I am sure that they will improve each meet throughout the season, as they tend to do. They will still be a tough team to beat when they defend their title in February.

Other than the relays, I wanted to point out a couple other good swims:

Iturbe was 1:39.2 in the 2 free in the Calvin meet against GVSU. Whether or not early season speed matters, whether or not he was wearing a suit, that was a hella good time and he is looking very good already this year.

Also, wanted to give a shotout to Nate Sutton of Alma for a speedy 10:01 in the 1000 vs Albion. Seems like he might be one of the favorites for the mile come conferences.
MIdoublebae

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association