Preview

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

silentp
Executive Team
Team Affiliation: Kalamazoo College

Preview

Post by silentp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 pm

We did a preview for the main page for nats:
http://d3swimming.com/?p=1564

It's a new format so comments are welcome.
Frank: Look, I didn't go to Vietnam just to have pansies like you take my freedom away from me.
Dee: You went to Vietnam in 1993 to open up a sweatshop!
Frank: ...and a lot of good men died in that sweatshop!

plutus

Re: Preview

Post by plutus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

nice write up. it'd be good to have a 'dark horse' pick for the events with the clear favorite. It'd be interesting if you guys put in your picks with projected team scores. that might be a bit more time intensive than a bracket though !
Some say a cucumber tastes better pickled.

Willswim
Team Affiliation: williams

Post by Willswim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 pm

I really enjoyed the write-up. I will let you in on a little secret, at least one of the relays you mostly give to Emory women will not be won by Emory. Mark my words, look at the video from last year and get ready for a big upset.

In the women's sprints I think you are discounting the new (old) girl, Raleigh's, possible impact and someone from our team may just open a few eyes as well. I really don't see Pavlak winning either of those events, but I do have to say that Pennington has really upped her game and may be hard to beat. One thing you are definitely correct about is in order to win the fifty you better be under 23. One week and we'll know for sure.

Getting pretty excited to see the meet and the Todhunter-Wilson show should be a record breaking tour de force.

See ya in Indy.
Last edited by Willswim on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ScotsFan
Gold Sponsor
Team Affiliation: Wooster

Post by ScotsFan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 pm

Willswim wrote:I will let you in on a little secret ... Mark my words ... get ready for a big upset ...
Thus does Willswim channel his inner Joe Namath. Let's keep him away from the poolside reporters during the meet :D

Willswim
Team Affiliation: williams

Post by Willswim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 pm

Dear Mr. Fan,

Don't ever forget that Joe was right. I stand by my prediction. It's easy to pick the front runner, but that's why they swim the races. Let's face it Todhunter and Wilson are two of the best DIII swimmers in the history of DIII (If not the best). I know Ms. Todhunter wants to end on a high note and Ms' Wilson, well she's just one heck of a competitor. Might I also add that both are really lovely young women and as someone said they both represent just exactly what DIII swimming is all about. Smart, great swimmers, great sportswomen and truly lovely people. Can't wait to see them both swim their hearts out at Nats.
Last edited by Willswim on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DonCheadle
Gold Sponsor

Post by DonCheadle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:16 pm

Nice write up. Really, good job.

Favorite comment, "I find it very illogical that Ross Spock would be considered for this event..." I almost think you came up with the line and then felt obligated to name Spock.

I think the Barry pick in the 200 back is the only one that has me scratching my head. I would be surprised if this isn't the one of the largest margin of victory (by percentages) of the meet.
Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle!

Truthinswmng

Post by Truthinswmng » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Willswim wrote:I really enjoyed the write-up. I will let you in on a little secret, at least one of the relays you mostly give to Emory women will not be won by Emory. Mark my words, look at the video from last year and get ready for a big upset.

Getting pretty excited to see the meet and the Todhunter-Wilson show should be a record breaking tour de force.

See ya in Indy.
Like last year, we know that a 52 low from Todhunter is what will make this close. That's why they actually have to swim it.

ScotsFan
Gold Sponsor
Team Affiliation: Wooster

Post by ScotsFan » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:34 pm

silentp wrote:We did a preview for the main page for nats:
http://d3swimming.com/?p=1564

It's a new format so comments are welcome.
Man, these guys are good, although it's a shame they underestimated the Williams women (Thompson won the 200, and Williams won two relays in record-setting fashion - none of that a surprise to the likes of Willswim). There were 10 events (incl SOY) where none of the three predicted the winner: men's 200 IM, 200 free, 100 fly, and SOY, and women's 200 free, 400 medley and 800 free relays, 100 and 200 breast, and 100 free.

I think these three guys deserve a ton of thanks. And I think you should all buy a t-shirt. Below find the trio's predictions, the actual winner, and in some cases some of their juicier quotes:

M 500 Al Weik Al Weik Al Weik
WINNER: WEIK
“I, for one, am on the Al Weik bandwagon... he’s who I expect to be standing on the top of the podium."

W 500 Caroline Wilson Caroline Wilson Alyssa Swanson
WINNER: WILSON

M 2IM Paul Dyrkacz Paul Dyrkacz Paul Dyrkacz
WINNER: J. DEPEW
“Paul Dyrkacz will take both the IM’s this year. No question.”

W 2IM Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter Anna Kokensparger
WINNER: TODHUNTER

M 50 Zach Turk Zach Turk Zach Turk
WINNER: TURK

W 50 Kellie Pennington Mary Pavlak Mary Pavlak
WINNER: PENNINGTON

M 200 medley relay Kenyon MIT Emory
WINNER: KENYON (MIT = 7TH)
“MIT is the trendy sleeper pick, blazing out of the gates back in the fall, qualified early and focused. They’re young and they are talented and this could be a celebration for the Engineers.”

W 200 medley relay Denison Emory Emory
WINNER: EMORY
“Emory, with a record no less.”

M 200 free relay Kenyon Kenyon Kenyon
WINNER: KENYON

W 200 free relay Denison Emory Emory
“I still think this is Denison’s race. For me, the bottom line is Morgan Nuess and Alyssa Swanson are the best 1-2 combo out there, whether Parini decides he wants open water or the best bookends in the country, he’s got them and let’s be honest, Denison’s has plenty of depth of their own.”

M 400 IM Paul Dyrkacz Paul Dyrkacz Paul Dyrkacz
WINNER: DYRKACZ
“His name is so fun to say it makes me want to type it. It literally has two animals in one name.”

W 400 IM Caroline Wilson Caroline Wilson Caroline Wilson

M 100 fly Wyatt Ubellacker Wyatt Ubellacker Wyatt Ubellacker
WINNER: AUGUSTYN
“MIT’s Wyatt Ubellacker is the consensus pick here among the three of us but that doesn’t mean it was a no brainer. Ubellacker comes in as the 3rd seed behind Patrick Augustyn – Emory and Sam Gill – Conn College. There’s also a name a little bit further down the psyche sheet that the field should be weary of… Kenyon’s James Chapman has been 48.5 and is looking for that breakout swim here in 2012. With top end talent like David Somers, Robert Barry and Ryan Farmer all in the field, one thing is for certain, this is going to be a fun one to watch!”

W 100 fly Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter

M 200 free William Dunn Ian Stewart-Bates Tom Veith
WINNER: HARP/DEGAYNER
“While I don’t count out Jordan Degayner since he was sixth last year…”

W 200 free Alyssa Swanson Alyssa Swanson Alyssa Swanson
WINNER: THOMPSON
“She’ll be pushed by teammate Hilary Callen and a pair of Eagles in Anne Culpepper and Whitley Taylor but when it’s all said and done, this race belongs to Swanson.”

M 400 medley relay Denison Kenyon Denison
WINNER: DENISON

W 400 medley relay Emory Emory Emory
WINNER: WILLIAMS
“No contest here … Emory’s level of talent in this race is incredible, and let’s face it, their relays are phenomenal. Granted, it will be a rough time in the butterfly, but come freestyle, the Emory ladies have enough firepower to blow any competitor out of the water.”

M 200 fly Miller Douglas Patrick Augustyn Patrick Augustyn
WINNER: AUGUSTYN

W 200 fly Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter

M 100 back Robert Barry Ross Spock Robert Barry
WINNER: BARRY

W 100 back Margaret Rosenbaum Celia Oberholzer Margaret Rosenbaum
WINNER: ROSENBAUM

M 100 breast Rory Buck Rory Buck Rory Buck
WINNER: BUCK

W 100 breast Caitlin Lehberger Elizabeth Counsell Caitlin Lehberger
WINNER: VERESHCHAGIN
“After watching Lehberger swim at the PAC conference meet, I am convinced that she is part frog. This race is hers, no question.”

M 800 free relay Denison Denison Denison

W 800 free relay Denison Emory Emory
WINNER: WILLIAMS
“… have you seen Emory? Have you looked at this team? They are leaving home top 8 swimmers after qualifying more than 133% of allowed team members. They have depth and I like a lack of weakness over a strength every day of the week, especially Friday.”

M 1650 Al Weik Al Weik Al Weik
WINNER: WEIK

W 1650 Caroline Wilson Caroline Wilson Hillary Callen

M 100 free Zach Turk Zach Turk Zach Turk
“Turk has been on a mission and that mission doesn’t including losing this race.”

W 100 free Claire Pavlak Kellie Pennington Kellie Pennington
WINNER: RALEIGH

M 200 bk Quinn Bartlett Quinn Bartlett Robert Barry
WINNER: BARRY

W 200 bk Anne Culpepper Sadie Nenning Sadie Nenning
WINNER: NENNIG
“While we picked different swimmers, we didn’t stray from the Eagles of Emory. Sadie is the right pick because she comes in faster this year and can bank on her freshman year experience to win it all this year.”

M 200 breast Rory Buck Rory Buck Rory Buck
WINNER: BUCK

W 200 breast Caitlin Lehberger Caitlin Lehberger Caitlin Lehberger
WINNER: GEYER

M 400 free relay Kenyon Kenyon Kenyon
WINNER: KENYON

W 400 free relay Emory Emory Emory
No questions about this event either. … While the other teams will be fighting for second, I will be watching to see how close Emory gets to their national record.”

Men’s SOY Al Weik Rory Buck Al Weik

Women’s SOY Caroline Wilson Logan Todhunter Logan Todhunter

Men’s COY Dawn Dill – MIT Jim Steen – Kenyon Gregg Parini – Denison
WINNER: PARINI
“…Parini is a shoe-in for Coach of the Year.”

Women’s COY Steve Kuster — Williams Jon Howell – Emory Jon Howell – Emory
WINNER: KUSTER
“The safe choice here is Jon Howell of Emory.”

Men’s Champ Denison Denison Denison
“Talent. Denison has more of it. They’re deeper. They have diving. They’re more well-rounded. Kenyon is good and could give Denison a run, but at the end of the day, it’s about depth of talent and that goes to Denison.”

Women’s Champ Emory Emory Emory
"No contest… the real question here is who’s going to come in second. Denison might give them a run here and there, but overall the Emory Eagles have it by sheer numbers, and volume of talent."