2019 NCAA Selection Line

What do you predict for nationals? Who is going to shine, who is not?

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman, Nasty Natti

Re: 2019 NCAA Selection Line

Postby polarbear » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:22 am

wvswimfan88 wrote:What friend might that be, polarbear? Haha.

I honestly wouldn't worry about any of the relays on line 14, and the one in question appears to be third of the five in terms of % below the B-Cut, so two other relays would get chopped before that one. Again, I THINK all Line 15 relays will be in with no issue.

Thank you -- nothing in stone until 8:00PM tonight . . . .
polarbear

Postby purpleandwhite » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 am

wvswimfan88 wrote:The pre selection list is indeed anyone who is a potential, imJumbo. Again, it only affects a few teams each year, but it prevents the Denison's and Kenyon's and Emory's from having to overly worry about knowing where every single one of their "bubble" swimmers stands, if they have them. None of Denison's were really at question this year, but say they have three who are likely hovering around lines 15-17, this allows them to give all of them the maximum chance instead of guessing wrong before knowing what other changes might happen to the sheet (invalid times corrected/swimmers pulling out/other changes). So yes, then, when more than 18 are officially selected, the committee contacts the coach and the coach has to be ready pretty much right away to make their cut to 18.

As for how those slots are filled, this is probably where the selection process is LEAST clear. For example, Denison has three relay-only swimmers among their 20, with two of those on the same relay (200 Med). What if they choose to get rid of those two? The other two still already qualify in individual events, so only two slots remain...the next 200 Medley Relay would need three slots to bring it up. So, then, where do the two slots go? See my point? It's pretty muddy there. The "cleanest/prettiest" solution for the committee and for balance is if Denison cuts Kurleto (very possible - only selected in one event, 2IM ranked 13th, lowest of individuals) and Gately (tied for next-lowest-ranking individual and a miler, so less likely to impact relays). If those two were removed, the next two who would slide up to Line 15 in those two events are the same two who wouldn't have been selected from the original Line 16.

Actually its anyone who has at least one B cut. As noted below, that allows coaches to see where the line falls and then make choices (if they are Kenyon, Denison or Emory) based on strategy.
purpleandwhite

Postby wvswimfan88 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:00 am

Polarbear, yeah, that's true, but Kenyon already has a full roster, too, so not really relevant. Emory, currently at 14 swimmers, and Tufts at 13 would be your next biggest "threats" in roster size, and perhaps Johns Hopkins at 12. Technically, Kenyon is actually over at 19 possible...but it's the weird situation that, if my count was right and nothing were to change, their "19th" would actually be one of the Line 16 swimmers not selected, which takes the decision out of their hands. Nontheless, I see your point, and I think if it were Kenyon, they might strategize in that way, but given that they are the only two close to full rosters, I don't think that will be a major consideration.
wvswimfan88

Postby polarbear » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 am

wvswimfan88 wrote:Polarbear, yeah, that's true, but Kenyon already has a full roster, too, so not really relevant. Emory, currently at 14 swimmers, and Tufts at 13 would be your next biggest "threats" in roster size, and perhaps Johns Hopkins at 12. Technically, Kenyon is actually over at 19 possible...but it's the weird situation that, if my count was right and nothing were to change, their "19th" would actually be one of the Line 16 swimmers not selected, which takes the decision out of their hands. Nontheless, I see your point, and I think if it were Kenyon, they might strategize in that way, but given that they are the only two close to full rosters, I don't think that will be a major consideration.

Kenyon was just meant to symbolize any of the other top 5 teams. In theory, you don't want to cut someone who then opens up a spot for Emory / Tufts / Hopkins. In reality I would guess that there is more to it, i.e. coaches may want to reward certain swimmers, etc.
polarbear

Postby polarbear » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:10 am

Anyone scored out mens and womens?
polarbear

Postby wvswimfan88 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:33 pm

wvswimfan88

Postby purpleandwhite » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 pm

wvswimfan88 wrote:Someone has, apparently: https://d3swimdive.blog/2019/02/28/scor ... ych-sheet/

Very cool. It doesn't include diving obviously.
purpleandwhite

Previous

Return to National Championships