New Scoring

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Troy Polamalu

New Scoring

Post by Troy Polamalu » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:05 pm

Today I heard at practice that the OAC council decided to limit the number of scoring participants at Champs this year to 6! That is less than last year (8 ), and 1/2 of what we/and hopefully all of the other OAC school teams wanted for this year (12 scoring positions). Hopefully we (as swimmers in the conference) can get the OAC council to change their minds and let the swimmers who are not TOP priority be able to score, while helping their team to the best of their swimming ability.

N Dynamite

Post by N Dynamite » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:18 pm

That is pretty ridiculous - I can't think of another conference that doesn't award points for finals and consols. It's hard to call it a team championship when so few are scoring. Hopefully they'll change their mind.
You have Pedro's protection. Vote for Pedro.

MillerTime

Post by MillerTime » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:22 pm

Troy, I totally agree. This new scoring system could not only hurt the participation of current OAC athletes, but undercut the desire for new recruits to come to the OAC. If this conference has goals of national status then a scoring system like this only makes things worse. I encourage all the OAC teams to talk to their coaches and make a positive change.

Syracuse82

Post by Syracuse82 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 am

Not only is this ridiculous, but there is no where in any rule book that should allow for this to happen, specifically the NCAA rules book. Someone should take a look into this and get things changed before our conference meet becomes even more of a joke than it already is.

shirtandtie

Post by shirtandtie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:25 am

I totally agree with you all. I think we have to come together as a Conference and take a stand. I think a letter should be sent to this council from every swimmer/coach/AD/ school president. We also would need the support of swimmers around the D3 swimming community. Because the OAC only has 5 swimming teams, but every school gets a vote, we all need to put pressure on the other schools to see our position. I would be willing to bet that no other meet at the championship level only scores 6. This must change.

Thank you for you support

Ps. Would there still be two heats at night?

Troy Polamalu

Post by Troy Polamalu » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:59 am

I dunno. But with the way that things are going, I would have to think that we would move the championships to an eight lane pool and only swim six in the one heat final. That would fit the way that it seems things are going.... Does track only score the top 6?

OutsideSmoker27
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by OutsideSmoker27 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:44 pm

shirtandtie wrote:I would be willing to bet that no other meet at the championship level only scores 6.
There are a couple of sports that do, but the comparisons are all apples-to-oranges. Wrestling apparently only scores 4 or 5, but it's a tournament system where points are awarded based on how many rounds you make it through. Cross-country and golf only score 4-6, but that's per team.
Troy Polamalu wrote:Does track only score the top 6?
Track scores 8 at OAC championships, indoor and outdoor both....or at least they did up until last year. They may have gotten dropped, too. Didn't OAC swimming used to score 12, though? Why would the conference council bother to change that? Seems very odd.
Families share the bond of blood; teams share the bond of toil, tears, and sweat. Both share the bond of the heart.

CollegeSwimming.com

Post by CollegeSwimming.com » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 pm

Its sad when non-swimming people meddle with our sport. A few years back our AD's tried to legislate that the conference meet rotate among all schools including 2 with no warm-down pool; one a 4-lane facility another with starting depths varying from 3'6" to 12'. Obviously our kids wanted the meet held in one of two pools that offered warm-down space, and deep-water racing.

Work with your Student Athlete Advisory Councils on each campus. Ultimately, sell this as a student effort. We had every SAAC from every school sponsor this proposal to the AD's. When faced with the support of every student athlete in every sport, even the most ardent opponent of the idea (a former basketball coach turned AD) had to relent. It wasn't easy - a two year fight ultimately, but it needs to be sold as an athlete welfare initiative. If Division III is about participation (that's what it says in the mission statement) then scoring 12 would make sense.

Good luck!

Greg Earhart
Carthage College

gcc62

Post by gcc62 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:12 pm

OutsideSmoker27 wrote:
shirtandtie wrote:I would be willing to bet that no other meet at the championship level only scores 6.
There are a couple of sports that do, but the comparisons are all apples-to-oranges. Wrestling apparently only scores 4 or 5, but it's a tournament system where points are awarded based on how many rounds you make it through. Cross-country and golf only score 4-6, but that's per team.
I think he meant swimming and diving championships. Shirtandtie, I can't give you a definitive answer, but I highly doubt any other conference scores that few.

Looking at the results from the PAC last year, if that conference only scored the top six the team champion on the women's side would have been different and Bethany's men would have only scored 33 of 572 points and their women would have only scored 10 of 557 points. Of the 10 teams at the meet 2 schools would not have scored any points and one school only would have scored one point. That would be extremely disheartening. It seems that this does not reflect the abilities of a team (depth is not rewarded) and it hurts the programs that are trying to build - how could you recruit kids to come swim for you if you can't even score any points at the championship meet?

MillerTime

Post by MillerTime » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:07 pm

Any response from BW, JCU, Mount, and Wilmington about this new scoring system ???

Dorsch

Post by Dorsch » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:44 am

I have talked to some people from JCU and from what it sounds like, they are not happy. I don't undestand why the OAC has decided to do this (I heard it isn't official yet, but it may become so soon). The rationale was explained to me, but it doesn't make sense still. If the conference only scores 6 people, how are the five swim teams going to recruit? I know being able to place at conference meet was one of the many criteria I looked at when choosing schools, and scoring only 6 probably would have deterred me. It makes it seem like the conference is just a joke and they don't take swimming seriously. We have had at least 3 national champions between men and women in the sport and numerous other all-americans and honorable mentions. The conference should not be treated as a joke.

All I can say is that if this goes through, there are going to be some hard years for the OAC in swimming coming where the conference gets much slower.

OutsideSmoker27
Team Affiliation: Grove City

Post by OutsideSmoker27 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:37 pm

Dorsch wrote:The rationale was explained to me, but it doesn't make sense still.
What is this rationale you speak of?
Families share the bond of blood; teams share the bond of toil, tears, and sweat. Both share the bond of the heart.

Dorsch

Post by Dorsch » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:08 pm

evidently people had a problem with scoring 12 divers or because there won't be 12 in either the guys or girls diving events, but there can't be a different number of athletes scored in different events. the way the meets was scored last year (top 8, not being able to move from the bottom six to the top six in finals) is not legal, and they dont want to run 2 heats of 4, so they have decided on only scoring 6. i don't really get it, but i have never gotten alot of the things that have been done by the conference.

Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:10 pm

so next year if there's only three divers theyll only score the top 3 in every event?

Dorsch

Post by Dorsch » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:18 am

I have a great idea...maybe the five teams could have a chess tournament and the winner will be the OAC swimming champion...that makes about as much sense to me as scoring 6 at finals, especially since there are over 100 girls in the confernece and around 90 guys.