Post MIAA 2019 Discussion

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

Re: Post MIAA 2019 Discussion

Postby RollTide » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:34 pm

Speaking of NCAAs, do we have a list of all the swimmers and relays that are going? If not, is someone willing to make that list?

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Postby Unionsteels4 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Another guy who should definitely be getting more of a shoutout is Olivet's Eric Wood. He's huge for them not only because he is a stud, but he's Olivet's main recruiting tool. Their coach can use him both as an example of the progress recruits can expect, as well as a guy you want to join with, much as I would imagine happened with Erickson.

As has already been pointed out, the sickness bug really took a toll this year. Scott Roberts, Grant Anger, and Daniel Keith are just the big names that I heard of. Really unfortunate for Roberts in his last meet. Hopefull Keith and Anger can use it as motivation for next year.

Concerning next year, Hope's prospects are not as bleak as some have thought. They return all of their relay points, only graduate 2 fellas (Engle is a junior), and Taber's previous stops speak for themselves in terms of recruiting.

Meanwhile, Albion's prospects are looking up as well. A huge majority of their points are in their younger classes and Stone has proved himself a champion both as a swimmer and a coach in his young career. Can only imagine that will help them continue their success.

Finally, anyone who has time/knowledge of such things want to do grades? (Looking at you WW)
Unionsteels4

Postby Scar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:40 pm

WilliamWallace wrote:3. The Albion men won the championship over an incredibly talented Calvin team. Calvin won 5/5 relays several of which were MIAA records and took more individual titles than any other team combined. I am not sure if that has ever happened before.

This statement made me curious so I went back through every MIAA Championship back to 2000 (20 years).

Most events won by a team in one meet.
- Albion men (2017) = they won 17 of 20 events. They only lost the 100 Back, the mile, and 100 free.
- Calvin women (2007) = they won 14 of 20 events.

For fun I also looked at which team won the most events and ended up not winning the meet.
- Kzoo men (2010) = they won 14 events and lost the meet to Hope.
- Hope women (2002 & 2012) = they won 12 events and lost to Calvin both times.

Finally, I looked at which team won the fewest events and ended up winning the meet.
- Olivet men (2007) & Hope men (2010) = both teams only won 3 events.
- Calvin women (2015 & 2016) = both years they only won 5 events.
Scar

Postby WilliamWallace » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:57 pm

So what about 5/5 relays?

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby Scar » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:02 pm

WilliamWallace wrote:So what about 5/5 relays?

In 2009 and 2010 Kzoo men won all 5 relays and lost to Hope.
Scar

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Oh man, love to see all the activity on the forum!

I've got a handful of thoughts. I'll start off with a no-brainer...

spobrocy1 wrote:
Unionsteels4 wrote: I too would be interested to see if anyone has ever won the championship without winning a relay, that's insane.

I was actually reminiscing with a couple alums last night about this. In answer to the question, yes it has happened before. Most recently, Kalamazoo won 15 straight relays in the MIAA Championship meets of 2009, 2010, and 2011. Hope won the meet in 2009 and 2010, and Kalamazoo won in 2011. Having a couple dominant swimmers can carry you in relays, so you can sweep them, yet not necessarily win the meet. Do you have to have other pieces? Of course. But the names Craig Fleming, Paul Ellis, and Chris Manning come to mind back in those years on relay swims. B. Holstege and Iturbe played similar roles this past weekend.

Hope won at MIAAs in '09 and '010 with good depth and a very well balanced team. Seems Albion was able to do that this year as well. In both cases they were able to overcome some exciting relay wins by another team due to a few dominant swimmers.

That type of balance within a roster doesn't happen by accident. In addition to winning, the '09 and '010 Hope classes share something else in common with this year's Albion class. They all were getting recruiting calls from the same person. Maybe he's on to something...
Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:44 pm

spobrocy1 wrote:A quick edit to my previous comment: I just got some more insight on the B Relay rule. If your B Relay does not have any exhibition swimmers on it, it can take the place of an A relay in finals in the event of a prelim DQ. Understand better now.

This. Calvin's women swam well enough to win, but weren't put in a position to do so. There really is no reason to enter a B relay if you're going to put exhibition swimmers on it. Just put 4 scoring swimmers on it and tell them to cool down. This should be the ultimate insurance policy. Bummer for the X team people of tomorrow though, there's no chance they'll ever see a prelim relay ever again!

The false start was the lead off, correct? I'm sure the last 3 legs heard all about safe starts. I used to twitch and "false start" at practice all the time. Not because i needed to beat anyone, i just have terrible balance and got flinchy leaning over the front of a block. Crazy things happen, you've got to be prepared when possible, and for this incident, there is actually a way you can prevent it from being a disaster.
Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Scar wrote:Men 50 Free - Took 21.30 to make it back in the A Final, I went back to 2011 Leagues and couldn't find any that were nearly as quick.

7 people went under 21.0 in 2009 (and i imagine salad fingers may remind us of another who didn't swim a flat start 50). Maybe those suits really did do something...

In all seriousness, though, let's hope this trend continues.
Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Salad Fingers wrote:Albion men nickeled and dimed their way to a victory.

Is this your way of minimizing their win? Still a little bitter about way the meet is scored? :wink:
Archer

Postby Archer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:09 pm

And most importantly, congrats to Coach Patnott!

Coach, if you're still checking in on us on here at all hours of the night, thank you for everything you've given to me, Hope, the MIAA, and the NCAA, both in the pool and beyond. Your influence has been felt for a long time, and will continue to be felt even longer going forward!
Archer

Postby WilliamWallace » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:34 pm

Scar and Archer- thanks for the miaa history. I love that stuff. History doesn’t repeat itself, but it definitely rhymes.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby Salad Fingers » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:37 am

Archer wrote:
Salad Fingers wrote:Albion men nickeled and dimed their way to a victory.

Is this your way of minimizing their win? Still a little bitter about way the meet is scored? :wink:

Not bitter at all. Like I mentioned, from top to bottom, Albion was more prepared than Calvin. A touch out here, big heat vs boner heat, little things like that are super important to winning a championship as a team. 2009, 25 points. K had more firepower than Hope, but Hope won a few more close races than we did, and beat us.

Stone got those kids ready to race. Patnott got those kids ready to race.
Don't be afraid of losing. Be terrified of being forgotten.
Salad Fingers

Postby RollTide » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:47 pm

I know everyone is concerned about Dan’s training style and everything but I’m more concerned whether he knows how to spell his own name

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Attachments
256BF8A0-8DEF-4411-9311-9C62B6C3663B.jpeg
256BF8A0-8DEF-4411-9311-9C62B6C3663B.jpeg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 205 times
RollTide

Previous

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association