MIAA 2018 -2019

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

MIAA 2018 -2019

Postby WilliamWallace » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Well, we are a few weeks into season across the MIAA and so far I haven't heard anything from anyone about what the MIAA looks like this season.

A few questions I have that I would love to hear answers on:

What do the incoming classes look like this season for each school?

Who are you excited to watch this season? Someone new or a returning contender?

What are predictions for conference finals - who will win and why?

If its discussion you want, its discussion you will get! Contribute to the conversation and keep the D3 Forums alive. If you are a lurker, now is the perfect time to get an account, talk some smack, and give a little insight.

-WW
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Re: MIAA 2018 -2019

Postby Corazon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Honestly with so much change in the MIAA this year I'm excited for a lot: In no particular order

1. The Albion squad. Excited to see how Nick Stone does with his new squad, and what's in store for them this year and next. Can he maintain the powerhouse that has been Albion swimming. I'm excited to see Nate Kozkycki's last year especially. He's going to be hungry after last year, and just how much can this big dog eat. Fly events and what will his third be?

2. Hope. Taber is back at his alma mater with his old coach. The Hope men have been dropping in past years while the women have been consistently solid. I don't know what all the Taber/Patnot combo will be able to do in the pool but I have a feeling there will be a large class coming in next year. I'm also excited to see what Meg Peel can do, it looked like she missed her taper at NCAA's, hoping she can hit it this year.

3. Alma. They have a monster recruiting class and it'll be interesting to see how they do with Jason. Should help the MIAA make a come back with some power houses. People I'm excited for from them is Leevi Olson and Will Brown. They should have a pretty solid team on both sides for these coming championships.

4. Kalamazoo. They didn't lose a lot on either side, and I don't know much about their first year class just that it's 'solid'. After not being able to score points last year should be a good fight at conference. Their medley relay should be pretty stacked this year with 3 juniors and Sharif to hold it down.

If anyone has info on recruiting classes for Calvin and Olivet that would be much appreciated. I think it'll be another close one between Albion and Calvin for the Men's title, and I think Hope and Calvin will make the meet interesting for the Women. My gut is saying Albion and Hope for the titles, but we'll see.
Corazon

Postby Corazon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:26 pm

I didn't do my due diligence before that last post. Kzoo have 12 first year women. Talk about squad. I think the battle for Conference on the women's side will be very interesting. Now I haven't looked into their times but dang... should be a good year.
Corazon

Postby Ghost of Fleming » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 am

Corazon wrote:
4. Kalamazoo. ... Their medley relay should be pretty stacked this year with 3 juniors and Sharif to hold it down.

Dirty Mike and the boys are on the hunt
Ghost of Fleming

Postby Big Papa » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:17 am

Should be an interesting year. I agree with Corazon and that this might be a bit of a jumble this year.

I think Calvin has it locked this year for both sides, BHolstege and Brittion are back, and that's like 100 Individual Points right there.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Albion Women fall to Hope this year, I think the Hope women are just getting stupid fast. I think Albion is probably deeper, but Hope is faster. Also, with the 12 K women added to the already fast roster (+diving is hella points for them) I think we could see a true DogFight for 2nd-4th with it being any teams fight.

I don't think its a question that the Albion men take second. Super solid all the way through with depth and top end speed. I'm not sure it will be as close as last year, however. I think losing Taber and adjusting to a new head coach can be rocky, and it that might hurt them.

As for K, like Corazon said it looks like another good year for both sides and only lost 3 big point scorers for both sides. I think the men will finish third if the freshman classes is as solid as rumored, and Diesel can work his magic.

Hope men get 4th, losing Wurster and Emert is tough. Those are difficult points to replace.

Alma. I think Alma for both sides is the favorite for 5th, Jason seems to bring in solid recruiting classes and depth never hurts.

Not sure about Olivet, no rosters posted so its tough to see what they brought in.

I do plan on doing the previews once all the freshman classes are posted
"Give your meet a good ol' rub"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2X7GCUhZJs

"heh heh yeah boi"
Big Papa

Postby JasonInteger » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:39 pm

Alma is going to run away with the MIAA this year mark my words. Our Scottish Army will be coming with our kilts for the Brits as we fight to win back our freedom to succeed and actually win a meet this year. We will play our bagpipes and annoy the Knights until they leave the battlefield and forfeit the MIAA championships to us. The comets will burn up before they crash into the Dutchmen's ships leaving only the Hornets which we will exterminate with a simple bug spray. We will be coming and bring the pride of Scotland and the honor of our dearly departed (to New York) Nick Polzin. When we finally get an assistant coach there will be a Scottish ass kicking coming towards the rest of the MIAA. Integer out
JasonInteger

Postby Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:10 pm

All I can say is this is gonna be one wild year. Who knows what kinds of twists there could be with Hope stealing our coach. All we know for sure is that they’re gonna pay for stealing our coach.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen

Postby RollTide » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:38 am

Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen wrote:All I can say is this is gonna be one wild year. Who knows what kinds of twists there could be with Hope stealing our coach. All we know for sure is that they’re gonna pay for stealing our coach.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Based off of the strong aggression of this post and the complete randomness of it, I think it’s safe to assume that this is not an actual Albion swimmer and is just someone trying to troll. Call me Captain Obvious but this post is about 5 months too late.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
RollTide

Postby Not a Dr. » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:40 am

Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen wrote:All I can say is this is gonna be one wild year. Who knows what kinds of twists there could be with Hope stealing our coach. All we know for sure is that they’re gonna pay for stealing our coach.

[ Post made via iPhone ]

"Stealing our coach" is a shot in the dark compared to the real views of Albion swimmers. Taber didn't/doesn't owe Albion anything after all he's done to build that program to what it is, and to leave it in such capable hands after his departure. His legacy of being able to walk into quite literally ANY MIAA program and win regardless of where they may be at the time of his arrival will be further established in a few short years when Hope is an annual power-house at the conference and national championships. That is to say, the league will have multiple teams being truly competitive at that point.

But for now. This year's going to be full of twists and turns. Lots of fast swimming. A "neutral" site for the league championships. Two Albion/Calvin squads that graduated roughly equal numbers in terms of points from their rosters. There is no clear winner right now on men's or women's sides.
Not a Dr.

Postby Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Ok I’ll admit this was poorly worded. What I meant to say was we’ll see how Hope is compared to previous years now that they have Taber. I’ll admit that “stealing” was a bad choice of words.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen

Postby Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Ok I’ll admit this was poorly worded. What I meant to say was we’ll see how Hope is compared to previous years now that they have Taber. I’ll admit that “stealing” was a bad choice of words.

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Pen.Pine.AplApl.Pen

Postby Corazon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:30 am

Big Papa wrote:I do plan on doing the previews once all the freshman classes are posted

I'll be looking forward to this. Not that Taber isn't a great coach, I just wouldn't hold my breath for this year. There could be a little bit of lag before his magic takes effect. I would say in 2 years time the MIAA will look completely different than it has in the last few years. Much faster overall, more competition at the conference stage and much more powerful at NCAA's. I'm looking forward to seeing the tiers of the MIAA blend together a bit more.
Corazon

Postby WilliamWallace » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:51 am

Albion: “They stole our coach!”

Hope: “This is his alma mater! He only used Albion to get to Hope!”

Olivet: (cries quietly in the corner)

[ Post made via iPhone ]
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

Postby FranksRedHot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:21 am

WilliamWallace wrote:Albion: “They stole our coach!”

Hope: “This is his alma mater! He only used Albion to get to Hope!”

Olivet: (cries quietly in the corner)

[ Post made via iPhone ]

Calvin, Alma and Kzoo: "Hey! When do we get a turn?"
FranksRedHot

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association