MIAA coaching

Moderators: Negrodamus, Archer

Re: These coaches aint loyal

Postby Diesel471 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Big Papa wrote:
No way K was involved in meetings. I think Jay will die before he leaves K

Actually, when I die they're going to bury me under the natatorium. I already have it arranged.

Congrats to JT and JP. I'm really happy for both. I was looking at some of Hope's history yesterday. It was a reminder of what a legend JP is. If you want to be amazed, check out his stats. 31 National Champions!?!? I wonder how that stacks up against other coaches in the country. I'm happy he's taking one more lap for the 18-19 season.

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/wswimd ... n?view=bio

Back in the day multiple MIAA teams finished in the top 10-15 at NCAAs. Will this coaching change lead to that? Only time will tell.

My predictions for a Taber replacement at Albion, in no particular order

Scott Whitbeck - Nazareth College, K alum
Jason Lintjer - Alma College
Kellen Beckwith - Denison University, Olivet alum
Nick Stone - Buffalo State College, Hope alum
Guy Fieri - Mayor of Flavortown
Brian Fiorillo - Albion alum

Also, where did that meme go??
Diesel471

Postby Scar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Diesel471 wrote:
Kellen Beckwith - Denison University, Olivet alum

Hopefully he never comes back.

Also, I would think Austin Veltman (Hiram College, Hope alum) would apply.
Scar

Re: MIAA coaching

Postby Clarity » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:53 am

This is a big win for JP, JT, and Hope. I am very confident Nick Hinkle, former Hope grad, will take the Albion job.
Clarity

Postby Triple Dip » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:14 am

There has only been one reasonable guess for the Albion head coaching position. That is Guy Fieri. I am excited to see Guy Fieri's fiery hair blazing across the pool deck. Guy Feiri has one of his Albion swimmers swim poorly and grabs their face with bread in hand and asks them "What are you?" and the swimmer cries and mumbles "an idiot sandwich". Albion will no longer be the team to watch because they're fast at swimming they will be a part the stars of the new hit show "steamed swimmers" on the food network. It is a tense show where Guy Fieri has a full kitchen on deck and has to coach his Albion swimmers at the same time. The only way the Albion swimmers will be able to eat after practice is to remember the recipe Fieri cooked during practice and emulate his cooking.

In all seriousness. I really doubt Albion will hire from the conference. This isn't Jason Lintjer moving from Kzoo to Alma. The only teams in the conference ranked nationally are Calvin and Albion. Albion isn't graduating too many seniors (All their national swimmers are returning) and is still gunning for an MIAA title next year. Albion is going to hire a more established coach outside the conference that has a similar coaching experience to Taber or Gelderloos to give an even matchup.
Triple Dip

Postby FranksRedHot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:49 pm

Clarity wrote:This is a big win for JP, JT, and Hope. I am very confident Nick Hinkle, former Hope grad, will take the Albion job.

Any more insight here?

From my research ya boi, Hinkle, has been out of the coaching game since 2014. Also, he was only a head coach for one season.

Usually, the way a search works is that you have to be offered a job to take it. I doubt Hinkle will be offered the job.
FranksRedHot

Postby Clarity » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:30 pm

Lots of insight.

Why can't someone get back into the coaching gig? Who, other than Albion, is most impacted by Taber leaving?
Clarity

Postby Rocinante » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Clarity wrote:Lots of insight.

Why can't someone get back into the coaching gig? Who, other than Albion, is most impacted by Taber leaving?

I'm sure he can get back into coaching but sliding into an HC job at a now nationally competive program after time off is not happening for him at the moment.

[ Post made via Android ]
Rocinante

Postby Corazon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Triple Dip wrote:In all seriousness. I really doubt Albion will hire from the conference. This isn't Jason Lintjer moving from Kzoo to Alma. The only teams in the conference ranked nationally are Calvin and Albion. Albion isn't graduating too many seniors (All their national swimmers are returning) and is still gunning for an MIAA title next year. Albion is going to hire a more established coach outside the conference that has a similar coaching experience to Taber or Gelderloos to give an even matchup.

While I agree they aren't graduating too many studs I wonder if any will follow JT to Hope. It happened when JT moved from Olivet could it happen again? I wouldn't be surprised for some of the younger guys (Kimbrell especially comes to mind) jump ship. I'm excited to see what happens with who the coaches and even who the finalists will be for this position. My first thought besides those mentioned by Diesel is Shawn Kornoelje, He was a finalist for the Kzoo job, Coached at Oakland and did well there so I wouldn't be surprised for him to throw his hat in the ring.
Corazon

Postby illuminati » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:40 am

Corazon wrote:While I agree they aren't graduating too many studs I wonder if any will follow JT to Hope. It happened when JT moved from Olivet could it happen again? I wouldn't be surprised for some of the younger guys (Kimbrell especially comes to mind) jump ship.

It is one thing for someone to follow a coach from Olivet to Albion, it is another thing for someone to leave an Albion team that will be contending for the title next year for a Hope team that will improve but won't be contending. I am not quite sure you can compare the two. I don't really see this happening, but I could be wrong. Also, the swimmers have to know that Albion is going to be able to hire a phenomenal coach. This isn't the same Albion team that hired Taber 6 years ago. There will be a lot of interest in coaching a team that has been in the top 25 for 3 straight years.
illuminati

Postby Kitty » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Always love to see a D1 assistant coach leave after 1 year and not give any reasons as to why. I'm beginning to hear some rumblings that Mark Hill already has the Albion job in the bag... thoughts?

https://swimswam.com/assistant-coach-ma ... g-indiana/
Kitty

Postby BillyZane » Thu May 24, 2018 11:51 am

Any word on where they are in the search process at Albion?

College swimming had a lot of spots open up this spring.
One who knows nothing can understand nothing
BillyZane

Postby Rocinante » Thu May 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Fairly certain that an offer has been accepted by a D3 head coach with MIAA ties. Imagine it will be announced with in a week.

[ Post made via Android ]
Rocinante

Postby Scar » Thu May 31, 2018 10:11 am

Scar

Postby Diesel471 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Diesel471 wrote:Nick Stone - Buffalo State College, Hope alum

I'm giving myself a pat on the back for calling it to an extent.

Congrats and welcome back, Nick!
Diesel471

Postby WilliamWallace » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Welcome, Nick.
Soldier: "You're not William Wallace! William Wallace is seven feet tall!"
Wallace: "Yes, I’ve heard, and if he were here today, he’d consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and lighting bolts from his arse."
WilliamWallace

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association