UNYSCSA/Empire 8

Moderators: Diesel471, ThePlowman

Homer
Team Affiliation: Stevens Tech

UNYSCSA/Empire 8

Post by Homer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 pm

First day... Stevens' studs no where to be found. Must be going to ECAC Open.
Nothing surprising in prelims so far. Hartwick on point in the 500 and 200IM.

openwater

Re: UNYSCSA/Empire 8

Post by openwater » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Very interesting - more than 30 teams, mainly D1 but including Stevens and CSI with their all-Russian relay. Meet runs from Friday through Sunday night. Normal 3-day meet format - unclear how many time trials will also be allowed. Should finish up about the same time the NESCAC men do on Sunday night.

Here is the link:
http://www.ecacsports.com/championships ... en_Preview
Once a competitive swimmer, you can become anything.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:28 am

I also noticed NYU has declared for this meet too. I haven't tracked down a results link yet. My guess is it will be posted to Navy website or ECAC website on Friday. I'm curious if Stevens has a relay there too. I know they have at least 3 guys at this meet just looking at Empire 8 results from yesterday.

Naval Academy website: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-swim ... sched.html

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Interesting that Stevens sends 3 top swimmers to a different meet. The only reason I can think of is to keep the yards up. Hard to do that with a 4 day meet. Ultimate goal is always NCAAs anyway.

I wonder what the other team's coaches think when 3 top kids don't show up to the conference meet...

openwater

Post by openwater » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Clearly Ithaca was the biggest beneficiary of these no-shows - doubt they are losing sleep over the fact that someone may declare their title minimized because Stevens didn't "try their hardest" at the conference meet.

Look before you leap -
I just checked the ECAC results and no disrespect to 2 of the 3 Stevens guys there but they were not putting up times that were world beaters (like suggested above, maybe they are training right through their conference meet and are swimming beat up). John Hu clearly would have made a big impact on the UNYSCSA meet - he was 4:02 in the 4IM.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 am

Openwater - You should take your own advice
Top times report for Empire 8

Elford 1st 1650, 6th 500 Fr, 10th 4IM
Benham 2nd 500, 3rd 4IM, 3rd 1650, 7th 200 FR

Would these guys dominate like Hu? Of course not... but clearly they would have made a difference at this meet not even counting relays.

My point was that Stevens is not concerned with the Conference meet. I don't think it diminishes Ithaca's title at all. I just wonder what the coaches think. Do any other schools send kids somewhere else during a conference meet?

openwater

Post by openwater » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 am

Sorry - I was looking nationally and missed the 1650 where both will qualify as individuals for Nats. You are correct in the UNYSCSA they are big players.

Kenyon for many years effectively ignored their conference meet, regularly lost to Denison and commonly did not swim some of their superstars in the meet at all. I don't know if these individuals were off swimming against D1 competition or just training hard at home.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm

I suppose it make sense when you have the numbers to still have a decent showing at the conference meet. It also makes sense for distance guys to keep yards up now instead of getting bogged down by a 4 day meet.

Moving on.. Let's take a look at what teams will be represented at NCAAs

Hartwick
Ithaca
Stevens

Did I miss any?