Interesting Article.

Moderator: Schiller

Interesting Article.

Postby Jsteez94 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 pm

http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-is-dominating-the-miac-as-never-before/380666931/

Interesting article I saw last week and couldn't help think of conferences this year and the thrashing the Tommies did to the other teams this year. So I guess I am wondering your opinions on the article and what should be done. It's hard not to agree with some of the points made but I'd like to hear some other peoples thoughts.
Jsteez94

Re: Interesting Article.

Postby backstroke47 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, it was only a thrashing on the men's side. And it's certainly not a long-standing tradition: two decisive conference victories does not a dynasty make (yet, anyway). Plus, this was the women's first conference victory in program history after 5 years of GAC pushing everybody around. From a swimming perspective, it does not make any sense to shuffle the deck.

For the Tommies' other sports, it's hard to say. At this point, I think it's hard to argue that any of the Tommies' teams are *really* good enough to be competitive at the D-1 level. It's also important to remember that just because the Tommies are dominant now doesn't mean they will always be dominant - because it's certainly not like they always have been. Athletic dynasties rise and fall, and nobody's ever happy with the team that's on top. This isn't really new news.

I can also say (as an alum) that the philosophy behind Tommie programs seems to match with others in the MIAC. Teams are like families; academics come first. From my perspective, it's still a good fit.
backstroke47

Postby ODIN » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Attached is the Learfield Sports Directors cup for the 2015-2016 season.

This is a measurement of athletic accomplishments among all sports. As you can see, St. Thomas is ranked #9. While UST has dominated the MIAC as of late, many other schools outside the MIAC have outperformed UST. If you are making the case that UST should go D1, you would also have to make a case for every school ranked above St. Thomas.

Furthermore, the ideals of devision III sports goes beyond how one school performs in relation to their competition. It is about being excelling in both the classroom as well as the sports arena and having the freedom to pursue passions of all different varieties.

I honestly do not understand why the question is even being raised.
ODIN

Postby ODIN » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:27 pm

ODIN

Return to Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference